I've only had my 2.3 for a short while and am currently on the 10k M1 plan with it, so I won't claim to be an expert but will tell what I know even though I know its all over this board with this very argument about a million times. I will be taking an oil analysis after the next change just to see what is found.
Having said that, I've had a number of turbocharged cars over the years. Always ran dino oil in the volovos, but always M1 in the porsches. I've had a number of porsche engines apart to compare and can say that the M1 engines are ALWAYS cleaner inside with significantly less wear on bearings and other friction surfaces. I was always told that it was due to the detergents in the M1. True or not, when apart the M1 equipped always looks nicer and measures to have less physical wear.
So do you need it? No. But why not make the small investment in M1(or any other full synthetic) to prolong the life of your engine's vital parts? A no brainer to me, plus I've never had to worry about the ill effects of broken down oil.
just my $0.02
posted by 76.211.1...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- v-6 owners! synth or dino and what interval?-curiosity, bkrell2, Thu, 15 Jan 2009 06:31:54
- Use what Saab recommends, synthetic, David Ingram, Thu, 15 Jan 2009 10:08:31
- Why just 3k, Technical Ecstasy, Fri, 16 Jan 2009 05:59:50
- Oil 101, David Ingram, Fri, 16 Jan 2009 06:35:55
- Oil base, Technical Ecstasy, Fri, 16 Jan 2009 09:22:35
- That's not correct., David Ingram, Fri, 16 Jan 2009 09:55:36
- More good info, Technical Ecstasy, Tue, 20 Jan 2009 06:06:54
- BTW,, Technical Ecstasy, Fri, 16 Jan 2009 12:30:08
- Base Stock, Technical Ecstasy, Fri, 16 Jan 2009 12:15:42
- Re: v-6 owners! synth or dino and what interval?-curiosity, joewayrn , Thu, 15 Jan 2009 08:55:06
- Re: v-6 owners! synth or dino and what interval?-curiosity, Henry, Thu, 15 Jan 2009 08:22:12
- Mobil 1 FULL Synthetic every 5k miles!!!, B Millar , Thu, 15 Jan 2009 06:47:30
Post a Followup
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Conact |
Your address is: 220.127.116.11 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!