...there's actually nothing specific about using synthetics in the car, actually just a grade and viscosity specification.
Later on the spec changed, and in service bulletins the recommendation changed to synthetic for all these years.
No one paid Saab to push their particular oil (that I'm aware of), but I do know that the oil cap on my BMW says "BMW Recommends Castrol."
I think it's still significant that Saab and other manufacturers insist on the stuff, and until I hear choruses to the contrary I'll continue to advocate it.
This is a lot like the K&N filter debate: those who use them swear by them, whereas I swear at them.
posted by 71.235.98...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- v-6 owners! synth or dino and what interval?-curiosity, bkrell2, Thu, 15 Jan 2009 06:31:54
- Use what Saab recommends, synthetic, David Ingram, Thu, 15 Jan 2009 10:08:31
- Why just 3k, Technical Ecstasy, Fri, 16 Jan 2009 05:59:50
- Oil 101, David Ingram, Fri, 16 Jan 2009 06:35:55
- Oil base, Technical Ecstasy, Fri, 16 Jan 2009 09:22:35
- That's not correct., David Ingram, Fri, 16 Jan 2009 09:55:36
- More good info, Technical Ecstasy, Tue, 20 Jan 2009 06:06:54
- BTW,, Technical Ecstasy, Fri, 16 Jan 2009 12:30:08
- Base Stock, Technical Ecstasy, Fri, 16 Jan 2009 12:15:42
- Re: v-6 owners! synth or dino and what interval?-curiosity, joewayrn , Thu, 15 Jan 2009 08:55:06
- Re: v-6 owners! synth or dino and what interval?-curiosity, Henry, Thu, 15 Jan 2009 08:22:12
- Mobil 1 FULL Synthetic every 5k miles!!!, B Millar , Thu, 15 Jan 2009 06:47:30
Post a Followup
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Conact |
Your address is: 188.8.131.52 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!