Lots of opinions regarding the V6. It's more or less the same engine used in the Cadillac Catera (1997-2001) and the Saturn L-300's. It's an odd 54 degree V6 made in England with 4-cams driven by a belt. The weak part of this engine is the cam-belt idlers/tensions which can fail, causing the valves to crash into the pistons (interference design). The belt, tensioner, and idlers must be replaced every 60K miles. The thermostat on this engine is very difficult to replace so when the cam-belt service is being performed, replace the thermostat and possibly the water pump. The turbocharger is also of poor quality - Garrett GT-1549.
MPG - I've got a 2002 with the V6 and get as low as 15 MPG in town with lots of sitting in traffic. On the highway I bet 27-30 MPG.
The engine is very smooth compared to the 4 cylinder and doesn't have sludge issues. Has great low-end torque and likes to pull hard, even at low RPM's.
posted by 67.189.22...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- How good? 2001 9.5 SE V6 Turbo, Brian in NM, Tue, 16 Nov 2010 16:32:59
- How good?, Stephen Goldberger, Thu, 18 Nov 2010 10:52:26
- V6 is GM junk ... stay away, John Nuttall, Wed, 17 Nov 2010 05:57:07
- Re: V6 is GM junk ... stay away, saabsince 93b , Thu, 18 Nov 2010 12:05:35
- Don't let BMillar read this.., RobsSaab , Wed, 17 Nov 2010 13:24:50
- Re: V6 is GM junk ... stay away, pel326 , Wed, 17 Nov 2010 12:53:50
- Re: V6 is GM junk ... stay away, Dan-O, Wed, 17 Nov 2010 09:45:41
- Re: "V6 is GM junk" ... not always:), Rich02818, Wed, 17 Nov 2010 08:00:32
- Re: V6 is GM junk ... stay away, Derek in Durham, Wed, 17 Nov 2010 06:54:20
- Re: How good? 2001 9.5 SE V6 Turbo, Lolke Bijlsma, Tue, 16 Nov 2010 21:58:55
- Re: How good? 2001 9.5 SE V6 Turbo, ScottA, Tue, 16 Nov 2010 17:12:09
Post a Followup
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Conact |
Your address is: 184.108.40.206 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!