rust is very hard/costly to deal with properly... best bet is pre-emptive rust proofing with a creeping oil spray of some sort. I do all 3 of our cars annually + the cars definitely last longer (recently got to compare our 1993 with another identical 1993 that didn't get oil sprayed... holy moly!)...
if you're just talking about that lower leading edge of the rear fenders just do a diy patch job (especially if there is other rust)... if it perforates, water + salt will get in there + it will go faster. a tip my indy gave me for my winter beater c900 (which perforated on a lower fender) is to fill the cavity with mono foam. it will plug any little holes in there. patch over that with wire mesh + bondo hair, fine bondo + paint... it is absolutely a hack job, but it is quick + cheap... can actually make it look pretty good and this has lasted 3 years now... nothing will stop that car!
but if the car has many issues, I agree, buying one in better condition will probably save money... use the old one for parts (or sell for parts if you don't have space etc)...
posted by 216.59.22...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- how much oil loss is too much? headgasket issues, Mike Keller, Wed, 25 Jan 2012 08:05:39
- Re: how much oil loss is too much? headgasket issues, B Lin, Thu, 26 Jan 2012 14:08:08
- Re: how much oil loss is too much? headgasket issues, Mysaab, Thu, 26 Jan 2012 08:52:50
- I'm in the same boat..., Saabinhappy, Wed, 25 Jan 2012 08:54:55
- Re: how much oil loss is too much? headgasket issues, SWEDECAR , Wed, 25 Jan 2012 08:19:35
- Re: how much oil loss is too much? headgasket issues, aka oldsaab, Wed, 1 Feb 2012 11:33:01
- Re: how much oil loss is too much? headgasket issues, Mike Keller, Thu, 26 Jan 2012 06:37:13
- + 1 to Anders, time for a newer car!, jimmy, Wed, 25 Jan 2012 08:39:44
- Re: + 1 to Anders, time for a newer car!, jeff02 , Wed, 25 Jan 2012 12:39:12
- Re: + 1 to Anders, time for a newer car!, Mike Keller, Thu, 26 Jan 2012 06:38:38
- rust, James, Thu, 26 Jan 2012 07:01:52
- Re: rust, jeff02 , Thu, 26 Jan 2012 07:04:55
- Re: rust, James, Thu, 26 Jan 2012 08:01:36
- Back Rust Fix, jeff02 , Thu, 26 Jan 2012 06:47:53
Post a Followup
The content on this site may not be republished without permission. Copyright © 1988-2012 - The Saab Network - saabnet.com.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Donations
Your address is: 184.108.40.206 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!