would be my recommendation. But of your rotors and bearings are in good shape you won't gain anything for now.
It is possible that your calipers have stuck or frozen pistons and/or park brake adjusters.
The advantage to the '81+ hubs is that the rotor fits over the wheel studs without R&R of the hub off of the splined CV shaft. The '86-87 turbo hubs w/ vented rotors are slightly different to allow the thicker rotor - hard to tell them apart unless side by side. Calipers have a larger yolk opening for pads & thicker rotor. The hydraulic w/ park brake part of the caliper is the same.
Do you understand how the calipers function ? as well as the park brake ?
The caliper pistons push in both directions, one directly on the inner pad, the other pushes on the yolk, pulling the outer pad onto the rotor.
The park adjust pushes the two pistons apart to make up for pad wear.
If the adjuster won't back off you cannot install new thicker pads.
If the adjuster is frozen the brake tool just turns the pistons.
Are your 'new' calipers new-new or less used than the current ones?
Sometimes turning the piston with the tool while applying pressure between the rotor and the tool will do the trick - a flat prybar and a smaller piece of metal on top of the 'turning tool'.
Also make sure the sliding part of the caliper & yolk is free and lubed.
Your poor brakes can be from frozen pistons making the caliper try to do all the braking from one side of the rotor.
posted by 72.160.104...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- '80 brake problems, RadioFlyer , Wed, 25 Jul 2012 11:26:38
- '81 - '87 non vented hubs >>>>, BobD, Wed, 25 Jul 2012 22:51:39
- 81 & newer discs held w/screw, 75-80 need to be, jimmy, Wed, 25 Jul 2012 20:57:43
- Re: '80 brake problems, Justin VanAbrahams, Wed, 25 Jul 2012 13:36:40
- bolt-on upgrade: MY '88+ hub assebmly, Siegfried, Wed, 25 Jul 2012 12:03:08
- Re: bolt-on upgrade: MY '88+ hub assebmly, RadioFlyer , Wed, 25 Jul 2012 14:13:36
- Re: bolt-on upgrade: MY '88+ hub assebmly, Justin VanAbrahams, Wed, 25 Jul 2012 16:08:53
- No, 99 & '79-80 900 rotors attach from the backside>, BobD, Wed, 25 Jul 2012 22:26:05
- Wow..., Justin VanAbrahams, Wed, 25 Jul 2012 23:29:24
- Re: bolt-on upgrade: MY '88+ hub assebmly, RadioFlyer , Wed, 25 Jul 2012 16:14:03
Post a Followup
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Conact |
Your address is: 184.108.40.206 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!