NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Books Movies & Music |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
I agree that used bikes can be a steal, but ONLY if you know exactly the size (of everything) you need. A 56 cm bike made by Trek is different than a 56cm Canondale, etc... Even two 56 cm Treks of the same models can be made to fit quite differently because of things like stems, handle bars, seat rails and crank arm lengths.
I would recommend riding as many bikes as you can, and talking to at least a few different shops. A good shop is important. Will they swap stems and handlebars for no additional cost? (My bike shop let me take two stems and decide for myself which fit better... and I wasn't even buying the bike from them... just some componentry to help build my own bike.)
There are deals to be had for used gear, but bikes aren't like most things... they really need to FIT.
As for material, others have already said it. Carbon can be expensive, but is comfortable and efficient (I don't put much thought into carbon failures... the car usually causes much more pain than the broken bike... and even aluminum and steel can fail), Aluminum is amazingly efficient, but can rattle your bones on anything less than smooth ground, and steel is nice... There are tradeoffs to everything.
Let us know what you decide.
'02 Klein Quantum
'04 Klein Palomino
'98 Klein Attitude
posted by 212.112.107...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- OT Looking for a new Road Bike $1,000 to spend, Larry Byer, Mon, 11 Apr 2011 07:30:49
- Re: OT Looking for a new Road Bike $1,000 to spend, PGAero , Wed, 13 Apr 2011 01:49:46
- Re: OT Looking for a new Road Bike $1,000 to spend, James, Tue, 12 Apr 2011 06:57:06
- Fit & comfort most important, john b , Mon, 11 Apr 2011 23:11:05
- Re: OT Looking for a new Road Bike $1,000 to spend, AlS , Mon, 11 Apr 2011 16:32:49
- Re: OT Looking for a new Road Bike $1,000 to spend, kaslop, Mon, 11 Apr 2011 10:44:41
- Trek FX Series, Boston Baab, Mon, 11 Apr 2011 08:33:19
Post a Followup
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Conact |
Your address is: 18.104.22.168 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.