It's true, Newton came along way at the end of the renaissance... but of course the church was still extremely important (eg Newton was religious but managed to avoid becoming a priest, a normal part of the job back then)...
Anyway, fortunately, not all scientific research these days is related to global warming... I suppose that's something on which we agree! I'm personally much more interested in some of the interesting experimental physics that is possible these days due to technical advancements... and don't get me wrong - I'm an applied sort - but I'm selling the case of the folks doing the fundamental work because the general populace imho has no idea how important they are to those of us on the applied side (for the future).
It is quite possible the research funding models in Canada and the US are different + possibly that might be reflected in our perspectives. A university prof with a $500k grant here does not get paid out of that grant... it's for research only (students + equipment etc). Typically a prof (or government researcher) here makes significantly less than they would make in industry (or in some cases, teaching high school!), but goes into it as a career because they have other primary interests than maximizing economic return (with stable sufficient pay, can do interesting research + teaching: ie academics). I can understand disillusionment wrt academics (my "90%/10%" bit), but I don't think the system is really *that* problematic... I look at it as just holding them to a high standard...
btw, with my "90%/10%" commentary, I'm using those numbers figuratively + I would not want to imply that industry is any better! For every competent engineer who practices proper toleranced design, there seems to be a bunch more who rely on "design by test": nominal design, followed by (limited) trial in a lab... drives me crazy!! anyway... my point is... we can't all be Einstein!
posted by 216.59.242...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- OT: Space shuttle, Eric Law, Fri, 8 Jul 2011 05:53:10
- Please..., Eric Law, Mon, 11 Jul 2011 04:46:52
- Re: OT: Space shuttle, brick8 , Fri, 8 Jul 2011 12:09:07
- I'll cheer..., nwas, Fri, 8 Jul 2011 08:34:19
- It's been quite a while, AdamB , Tue, 12 Jul 2011 09:33:51
- I guess we should all still be living in caves......, MI-Roger , Sat, 9 Jul 2011 13:06:57
- That would be the result, Reality, Sat, 9 Jul 2011 13:56:06
- Re: That would be the result, Eric Law, Sun, 10 Jul 2011 18:10:50
- Re: That would be the result, Reality, Sun, 10 Jul 2011 21:37:54
- Re: That would be the result, James, Mon, 11 Jul 2011 06:51:50
- Perhaps..., Eric Law, Mon, 11 Jul 2011 04:43:19
- Re: Perhaps..., TML, Tue, 12 Jul 2011 10:40:16
- Yeah, Eric Law, Wed, 13 Jul 2011 04:12:02
- Re: Perhaps..., Reality, Tue, 12 Jul 2011 11:43:36
- Re: Perhaps..., Reality, Mon, 11 Jul 2011 12:06:32
- Uh..., Eric Law, Mon, 11 Jul 2011 14:39:02
- Re: Uh..., Reality, Mon, 11 Jul 2011 15:08:54
- Re: Uh..., kkelley, Wed, 13 Jul 2011 15:12:11
- Agree!, Reality, Fri, 8 Jul 2011 16:36:58
- Re: I'll cheer..., TML, Fri, 8 Jul 2011 14:20:12
- I think I can handle 0.5% of the federal budget, rob 96 aero, Fri, 8 Jul 2011 11:27:00
- Re: I'll cheer..., NCCaniac , Fri, 8 Jul 2011 09:26:41
Post a Followup
The content on this site may not be republished without permission. Copyright © 1988-2012 - The Saab Network - saabnet.com.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Donations
Your address is: 126.96.36.199 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!