After AT&T invented modem in 1960 to transmit digital data over its nation-wide / global phone network, when Licklider laid out the plan/idea for a "universal computer network" in 1962, he was an employee at the BBN Technology, a private sector research firm. The APARNET did not come live until late 1969.
ARPA/DARPA, as its mission statement suggested, is a coordinating organization meant to be small (with only a little over 100 individuals) and nimble, able to spot new technology trends in the private sector . . . allocating its war chest, so that the US military can be the first one in the world to get a handle on whatever was coming. It's not a research or development organization per se. Almost all actual R&D are carried by outside firms, usually doing what they are already doing before being spotted by ARPA/DARPA. This is not meant to belittle their work in ensuring US military advantage, but saying that ARPA/DARPA invented modern wide area computer networking is indeed a little like some congressional lawmakers laying claim to founding the internet.
posted by 24.91.39...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- OT: Space shuttle, Eric Law, Fri, 8 Jul 2011 05:53:10
- Please..., Eric Law, Mon, 11 Jul 2011 04:46:52
- Re: OT: Space shuttle, brick8 , Fri, 8 Jul 2011 12:09:07
- I'll cheer..., nwas, Fri, 8 Jul 2011 08:34:19
- It's been quite a while, AdamB , Tue, 12 Jul 2011 09:33:51
- I guess we should all still be living in caves......, MI-Roger , Sat, 9 Jul 2011 13:06:57
- That would be the result, Reality, Sat, 9 Jul 2011 13:56:06
- Re: That would be the result, Eric Law, Sun, 10 Jul 2011 18:10:50
- Re: That would be the result, Reality, Sun, 10 Jul 2011 21:37:54
- Re: That would be the result, James, Mon, 11 Jul 2011 06:51:50
- Perhaps..., Eric Law, Mon, 11 Jul 2011 04:43:19
- Re: Perhaps..., TML, Tue, 12 Jul 2011 10:40:16
- Yeah, Eric Law, Wed, 13 Jul 2011 04:12:02
- Re: Perhaps..., Reality, Tue, 12 Jul 2011 11:43:36
- Re: Perhaps..., Reality, Mon, 11 Jul 2011 12:06:32
- Uh..., Eric Law, Mon, 11 Jul 2011 14:39:02
- Re: Uh..., Reality, Mon, 11 Jul 2011 15:08:54
- Re: Uh..., kkelley, Wed, 13 Jul 2011 15:12:11
- Agree!, Reality, Fri, 8 Jul 2011 16:36:58
- Re: I'll cheer..., TML, Fri, 8 Jul 2011 14:20:12
- I think I can handle 0.5% of the federal budget, rob 96 aero, Fri, 8 Jul 2011 11:27:00
- Re: I'll cheer..., NCCaniac , Fri, 8 Jul 2011 09:26:41
Post a Followup
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Conact |
Your address is: 18.104.22.168 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!