Imagine C900 being discussed on some XX (or XXX or XXXX) board:
- they need the bonnet to be removed in order to replace clutch MC!
- holy crap! what a bad design! I never ever removed the bonnet off my XX (or XXX, or XXXX) when working with clutch MC. Poor saabers!!1...
They just don't know that it takes only 1 minute and 12mm socket (and a second pair of hands) to do that. Neither it takes that much - as you might be thinking of it - to strip down front end on that VAG.
I don't say that those VAGs have the best engine-bay design ever, but it isn't that bad, actually. Yes, that photo looks scary, but IRL it isn't that hard to DYI belt service on that car. I'd rate it about the same as chain service on C900 (or even easier since on C900 a good technician will also replace main- and rod-bearings and will highly recommend going inside the gearbox to replace pinion bearings [which requires the gearbox to be stripped down] - all those parts have proven to show about the same lifetime as the timing chain).
Once again: in C900 you're supposed to remove (= pull out) the engine in order to replace the alternator since a guy with real hands can get no access the the lower bolt that holds alt's bracket (unless he has spent 5-7 years learning to play piano). Why nobody here is crying on this?
And all those sayings going 'oh, saabs are cool since there's no 100K belt service cause of chain' just show that... Well, I better stop here in order not to offend some honorable TSN members.
Just in case: I have personally removed C900 alternator twice or thrice w/o pulling the engine out, but I also HAVE spent 7 years for piano and I know several mechanics who physically can not do that service with the engine in-car.
posted by 77.37.1...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- Volkswagen/Audi timing belt change? $1200? Crazy!, Brian, Sun, 27 Nov 2011 07:12:38
- Removing front end is often very easy., dmz789qqq, Tue, 29 Nov 2011 09:55:21
- Not that bad..., Larry West , Tue, 29 Nov 2011 08:50:10
- Re: Volkswagen/Audi timing belt change? $1200? Crazy!, William, Mon, 28 Nov 2011 16:38:05
- Crazy?! How 'bout 1400-1800 per for a PT-Cruiser? Or..., Acubra, Mon, 28 Nov 2011 15:16:59
- So, what did you get done and what parts used?, Bill Homer, Mon, 28 Nov 2011 13:58:47
- The death of DIY?, No Snaab , Sun, 27 Nov 2011 15:32:54
- try this question the next time you'll look 4 a new car, Siegfried, Mon, 28 Nov 2011 11:57:58
- 2 types of buyers., James, Mon, 28 Nov 2011 12:16:00
- third type, DE, Mon, 28 Nov 2011 15:51:06
- And..., Noel , Mon, 28 Nov 2011 14:48:51
- Re: try this question the next time you'll look 4 a new car, Justin VanAbrahams, Mon, 28 Nov 2011 12:14:20
- not dead, just more sophisticated..., James, Sun, 27 Nov 2011 18:49:22
- Re: The death of DIY?, TML, Sun, 27 Nov 2011 16:21:12
- Re: Volkswagen/Audi timing belt change? $1200? Crazy!, SWEDECAR , Sun, 27 Nov 2011 09:25:28
- Re: Volkswagen/Audi thermostat change = $1200!, Bill Homer, Sun, 27 Nov 2011 09:24:15
- Yup, unfortunately $1200 sounds competitive., nateh89spg , Sun, 27 Nov 2011 08:40:53
- Re: Yup, unfortunately $1200 sounds competitive., Son of Saab, Sun, 27 Nov 2011 20:38:40
- Honda, jeff in MD , Sun, 27 Nov 2011 17:30:06
- Re:VW/Audi plastic water pump impellar?, Brian, Sun, 27 Nov 2011 09:15:29
- Re: Crazy!, Noel , Sun, 27 Nov 2011 07:17:02
- Re: VW/Audi dealer in CT $2500 + for T-Belt., Brian, Sun, 27 Nov 2011 07:36:34
- ehh... So what's wrong with it?, Siegfried, Mon, 28 Nov 2011 09:11:48
- What's wrong is bad design, Noel , Tue, 29 Nov 2011 07:31:51
- really bad?, Siegfried, Tue, 29 Nov 2011 09:06:11
- Well, OK, but my point is more that, Noel , Wed, 30 Nov 2011 09:11:15
- will you believe me if..., Siegfried, Wed, 30 Nov 2011 10:14:17
- Re: will you believe me if..., TML, Thu, 1 Dec 2011 05:07:27
- Unfortunately, my VAG thermostat is dead at 56,000 mile, Bill Homer, Wed, 30 Nov 2011 14:41:06
- Re: sorry, Siegfried, Thu, 1 Dec 2011 03:46:14
- Re: VW/Audi dealer in CT $2500 + for T-Belt., bic, Sun, 27 Nov 2011 19:18:15
- I was clearly misinformed!, Noel , Sun, 27 Nov 2011 12:55:32
- That is unfortunate., Mike Johnson, Sun, 27 Nov 2011 10:21:37
- Makes the ng900/9-3 PS line seem like a good idea, nwas, Sun, 27 Nov 2011 10:09:54
- Holy crap!, Skip, Sun, 27 Nov 2011 07:49:53
Post a Followup
The content on this site may not be republished without permission. Copyright © 1988-2012 - The Saab Network - saabnet.com.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Donations
Your address is: 184.108.40.206 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!