NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Books Movies & Music |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
You've made a bunch of good and thought provoking points but then closed with a critical error. You give two possibilities (the only two, as you state it's "prima facie proof") for the coinciding decrease in auto accident deaths with presumed increase in in-car cell phone use - 1. The use of cell phone is positive to driving safety, even if the exact mechanism may be beyond your comprehension; 2. The negative impact of cell phone use on driving is insignificant to negligible.
A 3rd possibility is that the negative impact of cell phone use is overwhelmed by the positive impact of other things that have been happening at the same time - older vehicles being replaced with new ones, more seat belt use, less drunk driving, slowing increase (or slight decrease) in miles driven, teen driver restrictions, etc.
I don't know what the reality is but without more study & evidence we can't be too restrictive with the possible explanations.
posted by 138.162....
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- Cellphones and driving, Noel , Wed, 14 Dec 2011 06:28:12
- Re: Cellphones and driving, Craig, Thu, 15 Dec 2011 10:40:55
- Here's a Study with N > 100,000,000, Reality, Wed, 14 Dec 2011 18:50:54
- doesn't matter anyway, ryan, Wed, 14 Dec 2011 12:42:45
- Re: Cellphones and driving, JohnA , Wed, 14 Dec 2011 06:36:40
- Re: Cellphones and driving, JerseySaab , Wed, 14 Dec 2011 07:48:41
- I suspect the research is less than accurate., Noel , Wed, 14 Dec 2011 10:16:47
- Re: I suspect the research is less than accurate., Judge Edo, Wed, 14 Dec 2011 17:56:22
- Re: I suspect the research is less than accurate., Simon S, Wed, 14 Dec 2011 14:46:13
- The truth - do your own test, nwas, Wed, 14 Dec 2011 13:15:28
- Re: I suspect the research is less than accurate., JerseySaab , Wed, 14 Dec 2011 10:36:11
- Re: Cellphones and driving, JohnA , Wed, 14 Dec 2011 07:56:05
Post a Followup
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Conact |
Your address is: 220.127.116.11 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.