That's another factor. People are becoming more and more capable of multi-tasking nowadays.
One of the crucial points that I was making is that cellphone use in cars may well have an accretive aspect to reducing accident, an aspect that is not at all reflected in those artificial studies or even recorded studies:
1. The absence of phone use does not necessarily mean a calm and un-distracted driver. Like I mentioned before, without being able to use the phone and call ahead, he may well have to speed in order to make an appointment. Of course, not everyone is rushing to make appointments all the time, but the law is not about banning continuous talking on the phone either, but banning all incidental use. Most people certainly had experience of rushing to appointment at some point in their lives.
2. A phone call may well reduce total miles driven ("honey could you pick up milk on the way?"). Reducing miles driven statistically reduces accident, as simple as that.
The fact remains that, during the decade of cell phone use increasing by 1000+%, the accident fatality rate has dropped by as much as 30%! No other prior decade has ever done that! One has to conclude that either:
(1) Cellphone use is positive for safety;
(2) The negative impact on safety, if any, is insignificant to negligible.
posted by 24.91.39...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- Cellphones and driving, Noel , Wed, 14 Dec 2011 06:28:12
- Re: Cellphones and driving, Craig, Thu, 15 Dec 2011 10:40:55
- Here's a Study with N > 100,000,000, Reality, Wed, 14 Dec 2011 18:50:54
- doesn't matter anyway, ryan, Wed, 14 Dec 2011 12:42:45
- Re: Cellphones and driving, JohnA , Wed, 14 Dec 2011 06:36:40
- Re: Cellphones and driving, JerseySaab , Wed, 14 Dec 2011 07:48:41
- I suspect the research is less than accurate., Noel , Wed, 14 Dec 2011 10:16:47
- Re: I suspect the research is less than accurate., Judge Edo, Wed, 14 Dec 2011 17:56:22
- Re: I suspect the research is less than accurate., Simon S, Wed, 14 Dec 2011 14:46:13
- The truth - do your own test, nwas, Wed, 14 Dec 2011 13:15:28
- Re: I suspect the research is less than accurate., JerseySaab , Wed, 14 Dec 2011 10:36:11
- Re: Cellphones and driving, JohnA , Wed, 14 Dec 2011 07:56:05
Post a Followup
The content on this site may not be republished without permission. Copyright © 1988-2012 - The Saab Network - saabnet.com.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Donations
Your address is: 188.8.131.52 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!