I greatly admire Scott's accomplishment starting from the days when he was running this site from a computer sitting in his dorm room. The simplicity and informality makes the site especially appealing to me.
I don't think Scott runs this site as much of a for-profit business even today, so not sure how government taxation or regulation could have affected it much.
I like the essential anonymity of this site. Temporary use of a different / throw-away name tag for potentially controversial topics helps avoid personality conflict (although if everyone uses the exact same "Reality" tag would make a conversations rather confusing ;-) If someone is bent on committing fraud, using two accounts to chat up a sale, requiring accounts and log-in is not going to stop anyone as nowaday having multiple internet devices and multiple internet connections is rather common. This community has done an admirable job spotting potential frauds like that.
Part of free market choice is choosing to eschew the latest fashion/fad. I think Scott has done a great job running a minimalist site that allows the users contribute the content, so he doesn't have to quit his day job or endanger the financial well being of his family just to to keep the site going (i.e. consequently endangering the very continued existence of this site). Do I really want to remember another set of username/password pair or using the same pair for many different sites thereby compromising security? Not really. There are plenty other Saab related sites, and starting another one should not be that hard. If someone would like to start another one, a labor-intensive one that incorporates all the latest bells and whistles, I'm sure it will be labor of love. At least, due to the privately-run nature, it won't turn into the never-ending/never-useable computer upgrade project at some well known government agency.
posted by 75.67.1...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- Weird request from Classifieds seller..., Acubra, Thu, 26 Jan 2012 12:49:40
- Re: Weird request from Classifieds seller..., jesse, Fri, 27 Jan 2012 05:36:00
- jesse = willroberts, James, Fri, 27 Jan 2012 05:57:12
- DUH.....REALLY?, albert eistein, Sat, 28 Jan 2012 12:08:28
- Not sure, but maybe it's too easy to write, bender , Fri, 27 Jan 2012 07:14:22
- format, James, Fri, 27 Jan 2012 08:04:19
- Tell him sure, once you get a scan of his DL! -n/m, Bruce, Thu, 26 Jan 2012 16:23:14
- People are weird, No Snaab , Thu, 26 Jan 2012 15:18:48
- Re: Weird request from Classifieds seller..., Mysaab, Thu, 26 Jan 2012 14:40:17
- Thanks all, we figured this misunderstanding with selle, Acubra, Thu, 26 Jan 2012 13:45:37
- VINs alone are not enough to order a new key!!!, westernny, Thu, 26 Jan 2012 13:19:45
- Re: Weird request from Classifieds seller..., James, Thu, 26 Jan 2012 13:08:46
Post a Followup
The content on this site may not be republished without permission. Copyright © 1988-2012 - The Saab Network - saabnet.com.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Donations
Your address is: 220.127.116.11 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!