I actually love the standard BMW I6 engines, but I had the opportunity to drive one of the 500hp 5L V10 M5s on a track and I was underwhelmed. Sure, it pulled liked hell...for about a second when it was near 8,000rpm. Even on a track with the SMG transmission it was hard to keep on the boil, let alone on the street. It's okay though, BMW has learned and now they're sticking turbos on their big dog cars like crazy (and now turbo 4s as their standard engines!). A 335i turbo engine is pretty satisfying. I still love their naturally aspirated engines, and feel that they're a core part of the BMW experience even when occasionally underpowered compared to their peers, but gotta compete in the horsepower wars and all. They all feel ridiculously heavy compared to by 9k (or my old '90 325i) though!
posted by 66.44.114...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- Horses on a diet? They are more like ponies!, Acubra, Thu, 9 Feb 2012 09:33:36
- The problem is..., Eric Law, Fri, 10 Feb 2012 11:03:03
- Re: Horses on a diet? They are more like ponies!, AdamSAAB2kAero, Thu, 9 Feb 2012 15:22:30
- Test drove an M3 the other day. . ., STICKMAN, Thu, 9 Feb 2012 14:15:23
- Same experience in an M5, Craig, Mon, 13 Feb 2012 11:37:55
- This why I miss my '87 900 Turbo, AdamD, Fri, 10 Feb 2012 05:40:32
- Exactly the reason, Tim, Thu, 9 Feb 2012 20:05:47
- Re: Test drove an M3 the other day. . ., Noel , Thu, 9 Feb 2012 17:21:46
- Seat of Pants == Torque / Weight ratio, Tim, Thu, 9 Feb 2012 10:15:55
- Re: Horses on a diet? They are more like ponies!, Les_H, Thu, 9 Feb 2012 09:43:34
Post a Followup
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Conact |
Your address is: 126.96.36.199 - Using CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!