There's an old advice to add two glasses of alcohol per 50L/13Gal tank twice a year (on spring and fall) to clear all the rust in fuel system.
Running on E85 constantly can only hurt your mileage (in oxidation ethanol creates less heat gasoline so you'll need more fuel to get the same power) and rubber parts if they're not designed to work for ethanol. Cold-start (Canada cold-start, not one in TX or FL) issues may happen. It's not recommended to store fully-charged car for too long since ethanol and gasoline will divide into layers. Turbo- and super-charged engines will benefit from increased octane value of ethanol, but N/A's won't. Emissions are better from ethanol then from gasoline.
Back to your question: it depends on particular model of particular make. The can not be a general rule of thumb to decide whether 15% ethanol additive to gasoline will kill your old ride. They say that gasoline with 5% ethanol added doesn't hurt anything in an unprepared car at all (unless you're in really cold areas where -20F cold start is the absolute necessity).
posted by 188.134.44...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- Will EPA mandated 15% ethonal hurt our cars?, poop deck pappy , Mon, 2 Apr 2012 16:33:05
- Yes. Buy a horse, Used to be Chaz, Thu, 5 Apr 2012 18:02:19
- No probably not, but it will harm the envirnoment -long, kurt, Tue, 3 Apr 2012 11:45:54
- There's an old advice, Siegfried, Tue, 3 Apr 2012 07:54:39
- Re: Will EPA mandated 15% ethonal hurt our cars?, TML, Tue, 3 Apr 2012 07:10:02
- Re: Will EPA mandated 15% ethonal hurt our cars?, brick8 , Tue, 3 Apr 2012 06:50:09
- Re: Will EPA mandated 15% ethonal hurt our cars?, Dean, Mon, 2 Apr 2012 21:15:26
- Re: Will EPA mandated 15% ethonal hurt our cars?, john in ct, Mon, 2 Apr 2012 21:06:00
- Re: Public vote, BobS, Tue, 3 Apr 2012 12:46:08
- Re: Will EPA mandated 15% ethonal hurt our cars?, EGD , Tue, 3 Apr 2012 06:14:08
- Not mandated, but permitted for post-2001 vehicles, JerseySaab , Tue, 3 Apr 2012 03:15:14
Post a Followup
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Conact |
Your address is: 18.104.22.168 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!