Petroleum has two big advantages:
1) In terms of energy density, one is only carrying around part of the fuel, as the oxygen is pulled from the air... Its like the difference between jets & rockets... if one had to carry around tanks of oxygen it would be a much different story.
2) The fueling time differences. One can fill up with enough gas/diesel to travel several hundred miles in just a few minutes. Right now it sounds like the best one can do that for an electric or plug-in hybrid is a few hours (at least with the current electrical infrastructure).
posted by 198.179.14...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- It's actually getting serious now., John Myers , Thu, 12 Apr 2012 16:24:15
- Re: It's actually getting serious now., BobS, Fri, 13 Apr 2012 19:04:48
- Well let's see..., Noel , Fri, 13 Apr 2012 06:19:56
- Sensationalism, Coggs, Fri, 13 Apr 2012 05:32:48
- Re: It's actually getting serious now., Justin VanAbrahams, Thu, 12 Apr 2012 19:25:01
- Risk vs reward., John Myers , Fri, 13 Apr 2012 07:21:06
- Huh?, ELaw , Fri, 13 Apr 2012 09:59:05
- Re: time, Siegfried, Fri, 13 Apr 2012 09:29:41
- Umm, ANWR?, John Myers , Fri, 13 Apr 2012 11:33:22
- excuse me, AeroEd , Fri, 13 Apr 2012 09:26:17
- Is it?, Siegfried, Thu, 12 Apr 2012 17:09:06
- The perils of testing till failure..., MI-Roger , Thu, 12 Apr 2012 17:04:31
Post a Followup
The content on this site may not be republished without permission. Copyright © 1988-2012 - The Saab Network - saabnet.com.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Donations
Your address is: 18.104.22.168 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!