Click Banner for Details on this Saabnet.com Classified
This is an artifact of the lame keyless ignition that has no point and creates problems. It really is stupid on multiple grounds.
With a key if you wanted your key out you needed to put it into park. Saab even made you put it into reverse with a manual. This simply makes sense.
The combination of a cut key and electronics also is clearly more secure. It is two factor authentication of sorts.
I need some place to put my darn keys any way. I'd rather have them in the ignition than my pocket or tosses in a console. I am not going to forget to take them with me if I use it to turn of the engine.
I still think it is faster and more intuitive to kill the engine with a key in an emergency. Combine that with steering columns that don't lock when doing so like many SAABs over the years and unlike most other keyed ignitions and you have a superior design that is safer.
There is a place for complex systems but we have gotten too clever for our own good.
posted by 69.130.25...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- U.S. steps up probe of BMW 7-series crashes, Steve T., Mon, 16 Apr 2012 06:59:35
- Actually it shows the stupidity of keyless ignitions, ursaw, Thu, 19 Apr 2012 18:42:45
- All of these problems are caused by, vvk, Wed, 18 Apr 2012 13:54:05
- are they?, Siegfried, Wed, 18 Apr 2012 15:52:29
- The design of the elec. auto trans lever in new BMWs, Paul H, Mon, 16 Apr 2012 12:44:04
- Re: U.S. steps up probe of BMW 7-series crashes, turbosaab , Mon, 16 Apr 2012 11:03:12
- Similar to Lexus that crashed at high speed, MI-Roger , Mon, 16 Apr 2012 08:28:31
- Re: Similar to Lexus that crashed at high speed, aka oldsaab, Mon, 16 Apr 2012 11:36:15
- Link?, AeroBaron, Mon, 16 Apr 2012 13:14:46
- Re: Similar to Lexus that crashed at high speed, TML, Mon, 16 Apr 2012 09:28:57
- Re: Similar to Lexus that crashed at high speed, Don M, Mon, 16 Apr 2012 08:55:14
- More on keys, Dan-O, Tue, 17 Apr 2012 07:12:34
- My first car had an ignition key and a starter button, Noel , Tue, 17 Apr 2012 05:42:06
- Re: Similar to Lexus that crashed at high speed, brick8 , Mon, 16 Apr 2012 16:10:43
- Re: Ignition keys - AMEN!, Notnoel , Mon, 16 Apr 2012 12:53:11
- HA! n/m, AdamSAAB2kAero, Wed, 18 Apr 2012 15:52:06
- Re: Similar to Lexus that crashed at high speed, Justin VanAbrahams, Mon, 16 Apr 2012 09:29:01
Post a Followup
The content on this site may not be republished without permission. Copyright © 1988-2012 - The Saab Network - saabnet.com.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Donations
Your address is: 184.108.40.206 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!