People are still confused about the nature of DARPA/ARPA. It is not a research institution, having only about 100 workers there spread over myriads of fields of specialty. It's more like a government-run hedge-fund, run in the interest of letting the US DoD have the first dip on any innovation, so as to avoid another Sputnik surprise.
Digital telecommunication riding on existing telephone lines run by private companies was already an emerging technology before DARPA/ARPA jumped on the wagon. To the extent that DARPA/ARPA indeed enabled the US defense establishment have a lead on the emerging network communication technology, vs. any other (worse) government (esp. the USSR during the Cold War), it was a success. To the extent that the best minds were hired away from the private sector to work on military intelligence specific requirement in the IT sector, that's a distraction. To the extent that to this day, almost all internet packets have to go in front of national security packet sniffers, that may well be one of the reasons for the fall of our formerly free society some day in the future.
posted by 75.67.1...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- More charging poles than electric cars, JohnA , Fri, 25 May 2012 06:21:08
- Re: More charging poles than electric cars, Bruce, Fri, 25 May 2012 07:56:54
- Re: More charging poles than electric cars, Reality, Fri, 25 May 2012 08:56:48
- Re: More charging poles than electric cars, Bruce, Fri, 25 May 2012 10:07:39
- Chicken and the egg, MI-Roger , Fri, 25 May 2012 09:39:12
- Jeesh, Reality, PT, Fri, 25 May 2012 09:25:01
- So the US goverment was wrong to subsidize internet?, dmz789qqq, Fri, 25 May 2012 09:23:21
- Re: More charging poles than electric cars, John Myers , Fri, 25 May 2012 07:04:30
Post a Followup
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Conact |
Your address is: 188.8.131.52 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!