NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Books Movies & Music |
Just to be clear, I actually do like the idea of using electric motors for transportation. This has nothing to do with environmentalist arguments, which I reject. (It is not even clear when battery manufacture and electricity production is factored in that there is a clear environmental advantage, but I really don't care about that.)
What I do care about is that from a consumer standpoint an electric motor is far simpler than a gasoline or diesel engine, needs virtually no maintenance, and can be made to last a hell of a long time. It can do away with complex systems like the need for a transmission, and there are no valves, camshafts, pistons, complex emission systems, etc., etc.
Electric motors, although a very OLD technology, are an elegant solution. I would be ecstatic to have a car that did not require the intense regular maintenance required by the internal combustion engine. (Yes, the visceral thrill of moving an ICE through the gears would be lost, but I can live with that if I don't have to crawl under the car every several thousand miles to deal with oil changes, etc., not to mention commonly-needed repairs.)
Unfortunately the elegance of electric motors in automotive applications is all but negated by the battery problem, and while internal combustion engines are complex beasts we do know how to make them reliable and cost-effective. Based on past promises being unfulfilled I am very skeptical about a high-density, reliable, practical, and affordable battery being mass-produced any time soon. That is why I say "show me the batteries!"
So we will wait and see, but as I said I am not holding my breath in anticipation here...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- On board the UK's first fast-charge electric bus, JohnA , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 19:31:04
- Tesla Model S: 'If Apple Made A Car, This Would Be It', JohnA , Sat, 23 Jun 2012 07:17:05
- Won't work. Steering wheel is on wrong side, Used to be Chaz, Fri, 15 Jun 2012 12:43:03
- Foreign Policy Mag photoessay on electrics, JohnA , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 06:39:11
- Neil Young - e-car tinkerer, JohnA , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 12:28:20
- Show me the batteries, JerseySaab , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 07:02:30
- I got yer batteries, No Snaab , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 17:02:34
- don't be a Luddite!, JohnA , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 07:10:11
- I like electric motors, batteries are the problem, JerseySaab , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 07:44:25
- don't be so gullible, JerseySaab , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 07:18:47
- Don't be so narrowminded, ELaw , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 07:45:08
- Re: don't be so gullible, Steve T., Thu, 14 Jun 2012 07:43:49
- EV vs hybrid, Snowmobile , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 07:41:59
- The one thing I don't get:, ELaw , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 08:02:58
- Re: The one thing I don't get:, Snowmobile , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 08:14:58
- Regenerative braking is grossly over-rated, Reality, Thu, 14 Jun 2012 10:03:09
- Very poor math....what about efficiency?, Mark from Toronto, Thu, 14 Jun 2012 12:40:28
- Re: Very poor math....what about efficiency?, Snowmobile , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 13:12:17
- More like 20-30% efficient, Reality, Thu, 14 Jun 2012 13:12:08
- at WOT only!, Siegfried, Thu, 14 Jun 2012 14:57:27
- and within a certain (and limited) RPM range, Siegfried, Thu, 14 Jun 2012 15:07:49
- conversion is quite efficient....., Mark from Toronto, Thu, 14 Jun 2012 15:48:29
- Re: conversion is quite efficient....., Reality, Thu, 14 Jun 2012 19:38:28
- Re: conversion is quite efficient....., Mark from Toronto, Thu, 14 Jun 2012 21:12:09
- Strawman tactic, Reality, Fri, 15 Jun 2012 03:46:58
- Think this out please...., Mark from Toronto, Fri, 15 Jun 2012 08:54:56
- Re: Strawman tactic, ELaw , Fri, 15 Jun 2012 07:00:41
- Strawman tactic vs Triple Strawman tactic, Snowmobile , Fri, 15 Jun 2012 06:27:37
- Say what??, ELaw , Fri, 15 Jun 2012 05:13:20
- apples and oranges, Siegfried, Thu, 14 Jun 2012 17:35:26
- Very good points..., Snowmobile , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 12:13:10
- Fuel consumption during idling, Kristjan, Thu, 14 Jun 2012 13:00:43
- corrected..., Snowmobile , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 12:44:11
- bah, I made the error, not you!, Snowmobile , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 12:21:49
- Correct but biased..., ELaw , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 11:43:40
- Yes, hybrids can be practical, JerseySaab , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 07:49:41
- eAAM, Snowmobile , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 08:03:07
- Re: eAAM, Mark from Toronto, Thu, 14 Jun 2012 21:16:30
- Turbo!, ELaw , Fri, 15 Jun 2012 06:06:04
Post a Followup
The content on this site may not be republished without permission. Copyright © 1988-2012 - The Saab Network - saabnet.com.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Donations
Your address is: 188.8.131.52 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.