Regenerative braking came up before in another thread, I let it go. Instead of hand waiving, let's put some numbers into perspective:
65mph is a little less than 29 meters per second. Therefore a 1500kg car (3300lbs) going at 65mph only has about half a MegaJoule of kinetic energy. Gasoline energy density is 47MJ/kg, and a gallon of gas is about 3kg. So the entire kinetic energy of the car only represents 1/300 of a gallon of gas. How many times does one haul the car to stop while driving on highway for a 40mile stretch (burning one gallon of fuel)? Remember, only a small percentage of the car's kinetic energy can be recovered in regenerative braking. Most of the energy spent at highway speed is fighting air and ground/drive train friction; none of that is recoverable.
Regenerative braking does not account for much of the fuel saving of hybrids. Hybrids save fuel by shutting off the engine when the car is stopped. Gasoline engine has to burn significant amount of fuel even when idling in order to prevent detonation. There isn't much fuel saving to be had running at highway speed. The hybrid car probably would do better mpg-wise at highway speed by stripping out the batteries and electrical drive components and keep the same small ICE engine. Going through a round-trip energy conversion at highway speed would probably lose more than gaining. That's why even the Volt has the ICE driving the wheels directly at highway speed.
posted by 75.67.1...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- On board the UK's first fast-charge electric bus, JohnA , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 19:31:04
- Tesla Model S: 'If Apple Made A Car, This Would Be It', JohnA , Sat, 23 Jun 2012 07:17:05
- Won't work. Steering wheel is on wrong side, Used to be Chaz, Fri, 15 Jun 2012 12:43:03
- Foreign Policy Mag photoessay on electrics, JohnA , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 06:39:11
- Neil Young - e-car tinkerer, JohnA , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 12:28:20
- Show me the batteries, JerseySaab , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 07:02:30
- I got yer batteries, No Snaab , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 17:02:34
- don't be a Luddite!, JohnA , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 07:10:11
- I like electric motors, batteries are the problem, JerseySaab , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 07:44:25
- don't be so gullible, JerseySaab , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 07:18:47
- Don't be so narrowminded, ELaw , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 07:45:08
- Re: don't be so gullible, Steve T., Thu, 14 Jun 2012 07:43:49
- EV vs hybrid, Snowmobile , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 07:41:59
- The one thing I don't get:, ELaw , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 08:02:58
- Re: The one thing I don't get:, Snowmobile , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 08:14:58
- Regenerative braking is grossly over-rated, Reality, Thu, 14 Jun 2012 10:03:09
- Very poor math....what about efficiency?, Mark from Toronto, Thu, 14 Jun 2012 12:40:28
- Re: Very poor math....what about efficiency?, Snowmobile , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 13:12:17
- More like 20-30% efficient, Reality, Thu, 14 Jun 2012 13:12:08
- at WOT only!, Siegfried, Thu, 14 Jun 2012 14:57:27
- and within a certain (and limited) RPM range, Siegfried, Thu, 14 Jun 2012 15:07:49
- conversion is quite efficient....., Mark from Toronto, Thu, 14 Jun 2012 15:48:29
- Re: conversion is quite efficient....., Reality, Thu, 14 Jun 2012 19:38:28
- Re: conversion is quite efficient....., Mark from Toronto, Thu, 14 Jun 2012 21:12:09
- Strawman tactic, Reality, Fri, 15 Jun 2012 03:46:58
- Think this out please...., Mark from Toronto, Fri, 15 Jun 2012 08:54:56
- Re: Strawman tactic, ELaw , Fri, 15 Jun 2012 07:00:41
- Strawman tactic vs Triple Strawman tactic, Snowmobile , Fri, 15 Jun 2012 06:27:37
- Say what??, ELaw , Fri, 15 Jun 2012 05:13:20
- apples and oranges, Siegfried, Thu, 14 Jun 2012 17:35:26
- Very good points..., Snowmobile , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 12:13:10
- Fuel consumption during idling, Kristjan, Thu, 14 Jun 2012 13:00:43
- corrected..., Snowmobile , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 12:44:11
- bah, I made the error, not you!, Snowmobile , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 12:21:49
- Correct but biased..., ELaw , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 11:43:40
- Yes, hybrids can be practical, JerseySaab , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 07:49:41
- eAAM, Snowmobile , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 08:03:07
- Re: eAAM, Mark from Toronto, Thu, 14 Jun 2012 21:16:30
- Turbo!, ELaw , Fri, 15 Jun 2012 06:06:04
Post a Followup
The content on this site may not be republished without permission. Copyright © 1988-2012 - The Saab Network - saabnet.com.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Donations
Your address is: 220.127.116.11 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!