your assumption that breaking is a process if transferring kinetic energy into energy required to disjoin brake pads and rotors atoms is incorrect. Breaks dissipate kinetic energy into heat and its their inefficiency factor of how much of that energy goes into material destruction (disjoining atoms).
Consider the pads being not of frictional type, but magnetics. And the rotors being made of aluminum (or copper, silver and so forth). In this case there will be no (zero) material loss in the pads and rotors while braking and all the energy will transform into a pure heat. It's the Eddy currents which do that trick (courtesy of mr. Foucault... well, and the Lord as well).
It's like you were saying 'it takes 10 minutes of 200W grinder to wear the tires into the same condition which they have after 20K miles of run - so why do we need to spend all the energy from gasoline required to make those 20K miles the conventional way?'. A perfect tire has no wear, but nothing under the mood is perfect and it's the level of inefficiency which turns into wear. It isn't about amount of energy those things have dealt with: two tires having the same wear may have a way too different mileages between each of them.
posted by 87.228.10...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- On board the UK's first fast-charge electric bus, JohnA , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 19:31:04
- Tesla Model S: 'If Apple Made A Car, This Would Be It', JohnA , Sat, 23 Jun 2012 07:17:05
- Won't work. Steering wheel is on wrong side, Used to be Chaz, Fri, 15 Jun 2012 12:43:03
- Foreign Policy Mag photoessay on electrics, JohnA , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 06:39:11
- Neil Young - e-car tinkerer, JohnA , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 12:28:20
- Show me the batteries, JerseySaab , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 07:02:30
- I got yer batteries, No Snaab , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 17:02:34
- don't be a Luddite!, JohnA , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 07:10:11
- I like electric motors, batteries are the problem, JerseySaab , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 07:44:25
- don't be so gullible, JerseySaab , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 07:18:47
- Don't be so narrowminded, ELaw , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 07:45:08
- Re: don't be so gullible, Steve T., Thu, 14 Jun 2012 07:43:49
- EV vs hybrid, Snowmobile , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 07:41:59
- The one thing I don't get:, ELaw , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 08:02:58
- Re: The one thing I don't get:, Snowmobile , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 08:14:58
- Regenerative braking is grossly over-rated, Reality, Thu, 14 Jun 2012 10:03:09
- Very poor math....what about efficiency?, Mark from Toronto, Thu, 14 Jun 2012 12:40:28
- Re: Very poor math....what about efficiency?, Snowmobile , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 13:12:17
- More like 20-30% efficient, Reality, Thu, 14 Jun 2012 13:12:08
- at WOT only!, Siegfried, Thu, 14 Jun 2012 14:57:27
- and within a certain (and limited) RPM range, Siegfried, Thu, 14 Jun 2012 15:07:49
- conversion is quite efficient....., Mark from Toronto, Thu, 14 Jun 2012 15:48:29
- Re: conversion is quite efficient....., Reality, Thu, 14 Jun 2012 19:38:28
- Re: conversion is quite efficient....., Mark from Toronto, Thu, 14 Jun 2012 21:12:09
- Strawman tactic, Reality, Fri, 15 Jun 2012 03:46:58
- Think this out please...., Mark from Toronto, Fri, 15 Jun 2012 08:54:56
- Re: Strawman tactic, ELaw , Fri, 15 Jun 2012 07:00:41
- Strawman tactic vs Triple Strawman tactic, Snowmobile , Fri, 15 Jun 2012 06:27:37
- Say what??, ELaw , Fri, 15 Jun 2012 05:13:20
- apples and oranges, Siegfried, Thu, 14 Jun 2012 17:35:26
- Very good points..., Snowmobile , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 12:13:10
- Fuel consumption during idling, Kristjan, Thu, 14 Jun 2012 13:00:43
- corrected..., Snowmobile , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 12:44:11
- bah, I made the error, not you!, Snowmobile , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 12:21:49
- Correct but biased..., ELaw , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 11:43:40
- Yes, hybrids can be practical, JerseySaab , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 07:49:41
- eAAM, Snowmobile , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 08:03:07
- Re: eAAM, Mark from Toronto, Thu, 14 Jun 2012 21:16:30
- Turbo!, ELaw , Fri, 15 Jun 2012 06:06:04
Post a Followup
The content on this site may not be republished without permission. Copyright © 1988-2012 - The Saab Network - saabnet.com.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Donations
Your address is: 220.127.116.11 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!