NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Books Movies & Music |
1. I not only went back and re-read your post, I'll paste the relevant portion here:
"1. Regenerative braking can only be used on driven wheels;"
The vast majority of cars are driven by two out of their four wheels. Therefore by referencing "driven wheels", you are stating 2 out of 4 wheels, which maybe you'll agree is 50%?
2. I do not have reading comprehension problems. Perhaps you have driving comprehension problems? You are making an incorrect assumption that braking only the front wheels creates "a high risk of spinning" (your words) when going down hills.
Have you ever driven a motorcycle, on which the front and rear brakes can be controlled independently? I have many hours driving motorcycles and in my experience, in all but panic or high-performance stops the vehicle can be stopped safely with either brake regardless of gradient. I have also driven cars with non-functional rear brakes with little difficulty, even on hills.
You'll note in that last statement I did exclude two circumstances. In a panic stop, I would expect the vehicle's systems to do whatever is necessary to provide maximum stopping power, which of course would mean braking all 4 wheels which would mean less energy captured by regeneration. And in performance-driving situations, energy efficiency is not the top priority and it's only sensible that additional energy loss would be tolerated in the name of getting max performance, just as when accelerating. But panic stops and max performance do not represent the majority of situations encountered by the majority of drivers.
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- On board the UK's first fast-charge electric bus, JohnA , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 19:31:04
- Tesla Model S: 'If Apple Made A Car, This Would Be It', JohnA , Sat, 23 Jun 2012 07:17:05
- Won't work. Steering wheel is on wrong side, Used to be Chaz, Fri, 15 Jun 2012 12:43:03
- Foreign Policy Mag photoessay on electrics, JohnA , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 06:39:11
- Neil Young - e-car tinkerer, JohnA , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 12:28:20
- Show me the batteries, JerseySaab , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 07:02:30
- I got yer batteries, No Snaab , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 17:02:34
- don't be a Luddite!, JohnA , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 07:10:11
- I like electric motors, batteries are the problem, JerseySaab , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 07:44:25
- don't be so gullible, JerseySaab , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 07:18:47
- Don't be so narrowminded, ELaw , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 07:45:08
- Re: don't be so gullible, Steve T., Thu, 14 Jun 2012 07:43:49
- EV vs hybrid, Snowmobile , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 07:41:59
- The one thing I don't get:, ELaw , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 08:02:58
- Re: The one thing I don't get:, Snowmobile , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 08:14:58
- Regenerative braking is grossly over-rated, Reality, Thu, 14 Jun 2012 10:03:09
- Very poor math....what about efficiency?, Mark from Toronto, Thu, 14 Jun 2012 12:40:28
- Re: Very poor math....what about efficiency?, Snowmobile , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 13:12:17
- More like 20-30% efficient, Reality, Thu, 14 Jun 2012 13:12:08
- at WOT only!, Siegfried, Thu, 14 Jun 2012 14:57:27
- and within a certain (and limited) RPM range, Siegfried, Thu, 14 Jun 2012 15:07:49
- conversion is quite efficient....., Mark from Toronto, Thu, 14 Jun 2012 15:48:29
- Re: conversion is quite efficient....., Reality, Thu, 14 Jun 2012 19:38:28
- Re: conversion is quite efficient....., Mark from Toronto, Thu, 14 Jun 2012 21:12:09
- Strawman tactic, Reality, Fri, 15 Jun 2012 03:46:58
- Think this out please...., Mark from Toronto, Fri, 15 Jun 2012 08:54:56
- Re: Strawman tactic, ELaw , Fri, 15 Jun 2012 07:00:41
- Strawman tactic vs Triple Strawman tactic, Snowmobile , Fri, 15 Jun 2012 06:27:37
- Say what??, ELaw , Fri, 15 Jun 2012 05:13:20
- apples and oranges, Siegfried, Thu, 14 Jun 2012 17:35:26
- Very good points..., Snowmobile , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 12:13:10
- Fuel consumption during idling, Kristjan, Thu, 14 Jun 2012 13:00:43
- corrected..., Snowmobile , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 12:44:11
- bah, I made the error, not you!, Snowmobile , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 12:21:49
- Correct but biased..., ELaw , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 11:43:40
- Yes, hybrids can be practical, JerseySaab , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 07:49:41
- eAAM, Snowmobile , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 08:03:07
- Re: eAAM, Mark from Toronto, Thu, 14 Jun 2012 21:16:30
- Turbo!, ELaw , Fri, 15 Jun 2012 06:06:04
Post a Followup
The content on this site may not be republished without permission. Copyright © 1988-2012 - The Saab Network - saabnet.com.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Donations
Your address is: 22.214.171.124 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.