indulging in conspiracy theories quite a few times around here, but your theory here is rather nutty. Don't you think mechanic shops actually lose money by posting advice here? While you are upset over paying $25-50 more than you could have if shopped harder, every potential customer solving problem due to online advice and not having to take the car in represents 10x the lost revenue, most of which is labor, which has no additional marginal cost per se as the rent has to be paid regardless whether an additional customer shows up. When was the last time you went to a mechanic and managed to leave with a bill smaller than $250 or even $500? Oil change and other basic maintenance not counting.
Granted, if you are only interested in mail ordering parts, buying from a mechanic may not get you cut-to-the-bones price like a tightly-run online retail warehouse would be able to offer. The ones offering free advice here are obviously a more genteel bunch than the ones running warehouse tight ships that specialize in moving parts. If a shop were owned by a bean counting tight-wad, the owner probably would ban his employees from posting here, for the precise reason mentioned in the above paragraph! He'd probably want car fixing to be a mystery to car owners, so the latter would show up at his shop and get charged $100/hr for labor!
I mean seriously, if you had to take the car in for diagnosis, you'd be paying up $50-100 just for the diagnosis before any part is ordered.
posted by 75.67.1...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- Simply SAAB? Simply not for me, Nader, Thu, 21 Jun 2012 20:47:36
- Re: The smoking gun!, 93Vector, Fri, 22 Jun 2012 10:44:39
- Re: The smoking gun!, Anil, Fri, 22 Jun 2012 13:47:02
- dude...get it through your thick skull...., Rizzlius, Sat, 23 Jun 2012 20:34:49
- Re: The smoking gun!, rob, Sat, 23 Jun 2012 12:07:11
- Come on now, I have been accused of, Reality, Sat, 23 Jun 2012 07:01:46
- Re: The smoking gun!, Snowmobile , Fri, 22 Jun 2012 19:07:07
- Re: The smoking gun!, HudsonValleySaabGuy, Fri, 22 Jun 2012 17:54:55
- Re: The smoking gun!, TML, Fri, 22 Jun 2012 17:43:40
- LOLZ! "Most are independent parts dealers like him", turrbo , Fri, 22 Jun 2012 15:04:34
- I bet you're actually thinking this is working., John Myers , Fri, 22 Jun 2012 15:00:04
- Re: wt actual f?, 93Vector, Fri, 22 Jun 2012 14:54:24
- keep flogging that dead horse... nm, Simon S, Fri, 22 Jun 2012 14:51:47
- So now you're threatening to slander this entire site?, Chadwick , Fri, 22 Jun 2012 14:36:14
- hello from independent parts consumer from Mordor (n/m), Siegfried, Fri, 22 Jun 2012 14:04:32
- Wow, thanks for finding that!, Chadwick , Fri, 22 Jun 2012 10:49:59
- Re: Simply SAAB? Simply not for me, Judge Judy, Fri, 22 Jun 2012 10:23:28
- Re: Simply SAAB? Simply not for me, turbocon86, Fri, 22 Jun 2012 08:51:49
- Re: Simply SAAB? Simply not for me, JustinHiFi , Fri, 22 Jun 2012 07:40:49
- Re: Daniel/Nader don't you know..., 93Vector, Fri, 22 Jun 2012 05:53:36
- David/Anil getting more friends to post for them?, turrbo , Thu, 21 Jun 2012 20:57:20
Post a Followup
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Conact |
Your address is: 22.214.171.124 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!