The others have given some pretty good advice.
The longer answer, is that I do a bloody lot of this. Currently at a little shy of a half terabyte, and 30K images in my catalog. As far as managing the Data goes, I keep all my original raw files in one directory structure arranged by date (ie: Photos/2012/2012-06-25/filename.raw). Do all your further organization and editing within a non destructive editing application such as lightroom or aperture.
I can not stress enough how important backups are. Time-machine, or other automated local backup solutions are great, but they should be augmented by other offline and off-site backups that you update regularly.
posted by 24.22.62...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- OT / Digital Photo Upkeep, EGD , Sat, 23 Jun 2012 19:31:42
- Re: OT / Digital Photo Upkeep, Larry West , Mon, 25 Jun 2012 12:45:09
- Re: OT / Digital Photo Upkeep, Dennis_MA , Sun, 24 Jun 2012 14:56:16
- My photo organizing routine, Steve in CT, Sun, 24 Jun 2012 07:02:22
- +1, dmz789qqq, Sun, 24 Jun 2012 20:17:45
- my best recommendations to jAlbum!, Siegfried, Sun, 24 Jun 2012 02:10:23
- Adobe Lightroom. nm, Simon S, Sat, 23 Jun 2012 20:56:50
Post a Followup
The content on this site may not be republished without permission. Copyright © 1988-2012 - The Saab Network - saabnet.com.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Donations
Your address is: 22.214.171.124 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!