GM [EMD/GMDD] produced the Diesel Locomotive and that displaced steam locomotives. GM lost the locomotive business for the same reason the automobile business: became toxic... high labor costs. Yes there were other causes, shared by many large corporations. A venture capitalist purchased the business and later sold it to CAT; who is taking the business to the USA to get away from the costs of the Canadian UAW.
In the early 1990's they made the locomotives for the Bay Area Rapid Transit System [BART}.
I was a vendor QA Engineer for locomotives, transit coaches, Terex off road equipment and 170 ton diesel electric ore trucks. They also made the USMC 8 wheel LAV's and had to let that go to General Dynamics, now making the Styker. The LAV's had the same two stroke blown Detroit Diesel engines as the transit buses; very reliable and durable. In the military application they added a turbo charger and intercooler.
I also did FEA on the transport base for the midget man missile.
It was all very interesting. My personal sand box for nearly 20 years.
posted by 68.91.152...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- the internal combustion engine not becoming a dodobird, JohnA , Sat, 23 Jun 2012 07:47:39
- i don't care what anyone thinks or trys nothing will change, vvack0matic, Sat, 23 Jun 2012 21:14:20
- Trucks nothing, it all starts with Marine Shipping. nm, Simon S, Mon, 25 Jun 2012 16:23:09
- good reason to switch to trains *ducks* nm, Trev, Sun, 24 Jun 2012 21:40:05
- Different perspective: MPG to payload ratio, AeroBaron, Sun, 24 Jun 2012 17:14:45
- Great point!, Noel , Sun, 24 Jun 2012 08:17:38
- Energy density., Cary, Sun, 24 Jun 2012 07:46:18
Post a Followup
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Conact |
Your address is: 126.96.36.199 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!