These guys can do an okay job - they spray cars all day after all. I agree with the others that if you do as much of the prep as possible you should be able to a decent paint job for low bucks. Blocking and sanding the primer isn't hard - it's just time consuming - so it's worth doing yourself and if you read up you can get a nice surface ready. I've seen real dirt ball paint jobs that fade in a few months though, so go with someone at least quasi reputable (ie Maaco level or above). The question to think about when buying any vehicle that was primered only, is why was it primered in the first place. Too often it's to cover terrible repair work or rust. Maybe it's not as common these days, but back in the day it wasn't unusual to find deep bondo, chicken wire, and fiberglass holding quarter panels together.
posted by 66.44.127...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- Maaco paint job... how much and how good/bad ?, STICKMAN, Wed, 8 Aug 2012 08:09:12
- Hit or miss for Maaco paint job, mysaab, Fri, 10 Aug 2012 15:11:07
- What about a local trade school?, CWilson, Wed, 8 Aug 2012 23:11:49
- Re: Maaco paint job... how much and how good/bad ?, ParkhurstJ, Wed, 8 Aug 2012 14:30:26
- Re: Maaco paint job... how much and how good/bad ?, Keith, Wed, 8 Aug 2012 14:02:35
- Re: Maaco paint job... how much and how good/bad ?, Craig, Wed, 8 Aug 2012 09:39:16
- Re: Maaco paint job... how much and how good/bad ?, BD, Wed, 8 Aug 2012 08:19:26
Post a Followup
The content on this site may not be republished without permission. Copyright © 1988-2012 - The Saab Network - saabnet.com.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Donations
Your address is: 22.214.171.124 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!