Marketing, I think. - Saabnet.com Bulletin Board
I suspect auto parts stores are "fixing" pricing as a way to steer people towards promoted products. Autozone has Mobil 1 for $35/5g and a Mobil 1 filter for $15, but if you buy them together they're $32. I suspect all these guys are inflating the regular price of things so they can incentivize you to either buy more or, more likely, buy the specific thing they want you to. If crap oil is $15/5g and a crap filter is $5, you might choose to save $12 over the Mobil 1 equivalents... but if the Mobil 1 equivalent at $32 represents $50 in value, well, that's a good deal! The pricing structure changes the psychology of the sale.
At places that aren't auto parts store, these parts have cost about the same for a really long time - whether it's Walmart, Summit Racing, or even Amazon. It's only at auto parts stores where these weird pricing structures have appeared, so it's just gotta be some sort of salesmanship, right?
I buy most of my oil from Amazon - whether it's the ultra cheap Milesyn Dexos1 or less cheap Motul and Lubro Moly. Filters tend to come from rockauto where Wix XP (extremely high quality) filters hover around $5-$7 per.
On that note, I will say that in the dozen or so cars I've used that $2-3/qt Milesyn oil I've had zero issues. Not to say it's a good oil or anything, but at the very least it's not criminally bad, it's SOOOO cheap, and it shows up at my door. I wish they made a 10w-40 I could use in the older cars, but the 5w-30 Dexos does great in the newer Saabs and other GM vehicles that call for a 5w-30. Even my 25 year old motorhome is fine with it.
posted by 12.195.130...
Posts in this Thread:
- What is happening to the price of Synthetic Oil?, MI-Roger , Sun, 28 Jan 2018 09:07:27
- Why Shell dropped S_ ratings of Rotella T6, sam96CS , Thu, 15 Feb 2018 15:39:04
- Nat gas vs. oil, none-yet, Thu, 8 Feb 2018 07:47:24
- Maybe I'm missing something, but..., Noel , Fri, 2 Feb 2018 12:39:19
- Re: What is happening to the price of Synthetic Oil?, Dick in Falls Church, Fri, 2 Feb 2018 09:41:50
- Re: What is happening to the price of Synthetic Oil?, Zot, Tue, 30 Jan 2018 08:01:35
- Marketing, I think., Justin VanAbrahams, Mon, 29 Jan 2018 12:57:36 <-- Viewing This Message
- what is happening to the price of filters?, Snowmobile , Mon, 29 Jan 2018 06:52:30
- I found Mobil-1 filters on sale for $10 each,, MI-Roger , Mon, 29 Jan 2018 17:40:16
- Purolator?, Eiron, Mon, 29 Jan 2018 09:21:37
- Re: what is happening to the price of filters?, cheaptech , Mon, 29 Jan 2018 07:01:49
- Re: What is happening to the price of Synthetic Oil?, EGD , Sun, 28 Jan 2018 15:36:58
- Re: What is happening to the price of Synthetic Oil?, Eiron, Sun, 28 Jan 2018 13:28:00
- Re: What is happening to the price of Synthetic Oil?, Tom g , Sun, 28 Jan 2018 11:57:36
- Re: What is happening to the price of Synthetic Oil?, cheaptech , Sun, 28 Jan 2018 09:47:07
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 220.127.116.11 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!