Re: OT - thoughts on this quote for central AC replacement - Saabnet.com Bulletin Board
This question is right up my alley.
I had a new A/C install done on my existing forced air furnace in April.
I'm located about 60 miles from you in Connecticut.
The total cost with tax was $4400 for a 13SEER single zone system.
It's 2 ton compressor and included expansion coil set with modifications to furnace plenum, compressor/condensor coil, compressor mounting pad, 45ft tube set, condensate pump, labor, building permit,Freon, and electrical work to add breaker and connections to themostat and compressor. I was able to use my existing thermostat.
2 year contractor warranty on the installation and 10 year warranty from Trane on the hardware.
A 2.5 ton unit would have been about $200 more.
I had 2nd estimate for $5800 from another contractor for an identical spec Rheem system and I considered both contractors to be reputable.
Higher efficiency units would have made for a higher cost with a questionable pay back, owing to the short cooling season in the northeast and added complexity and repair costs associated with high efficiency units. Both of the contractors I consulted did not recommend the higher efficiency units.
posted by 32.209.47...
Posts in this Thread:
- OT - thoughts on this quote for central AC replacement, SS, Sun, 6 May 2018 09:00:01
- Re: OT - thoughts on this quote for central AC replacement, Dean, Wed, 23 May 2018 10:22:50
- Re: OT - thoughts on this quote for central AC replacement, Paul B., Sun, 6 May 2018 16:52:32 <-- Viewing This Message
- I installed my own components 20 years ago, MI-Roger , Sun, 6 May 2018 16:09:34
- Re: OT - thoughts on this quote for central AC replacement, steve, Sun, 6 May 2018 12:55:07
- Lennox thru Costco, EGD , Sun, 6 May 2018 12:32:50
- Re: OT - thoughts on this quote for central AC replacement, seth1065 , Sun, 6 May 2018 10:03:41
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 18.104.22.168 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!