NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Books Movies & Music |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
Lots of the installation steps can be safely done by a competent DIY'er. Evacuating the coil of air using a vacuum pump, silver-soldering the line set connections, and balancing the refrigerant charge are not among them.
You asked a very valid question. The unit is identified as using R410a refrigerant but the quantity of refrigerant is not mentioned. The unit likely comes charged with an inert gas to prevent internal corrosion, rather than refrigerant.
Back in the day Sears sold the evaporator coil, line sets, and compressor/condenser units as all pre-charged. Connections were made using self-piercing threaded fittings so the entire unit could be installed by a DIY'er! The downside was that the threaded connections tended to leak and a recharge was required every 2-4 years.
->Posting last edited on Mon, 7 May 2018 17:43:14.
2008 9-5 Aero Sedan
2006 9-3SC 2.0T
2000 Viggen Convertible
2000 9-5lpt Sedan, sold at 318K miles
Posts in this Thread:
- OT - thoughts on this quote for central AC replacement, SS, Sun, 6 May 2018 09:00:01
- Re: OT - thoughts on this quote for central AC replacement, Dean, Wed, 23 May 2018 10:22:50
- Re: OT - thoughts on this quote for central AC replacement, Paul B., Sun, 6 May 2018 16:52:32
- I installed my own components 20 years ago, MI-Roger , Sun, 6 May 2018 16:09:34
- Re: OT - thoughts on this quote for central AC replacement, steve, Sun, 6 May 2018 12:55:07
- Lennox thru Costco, EGD , Sun, 6 May 2018 12:32:50
- Re: OT - thoughts on this quote for central AC replacement, seth1065 , Sun, 6 May 2018 10:03:41
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 22.214.171.124 - Using CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.