Ten Most Recently Updated Saabnet.com Member Photo Galleries | Profiles
Become a Saabnet.com Member Today - Click Here!
I had a micro-flow system for making hot water. I worked very well. The day that I was connecting the panel was cloudy. Just before I connected the tubing to the compression fitting on the panel, the sun came out. I grabbed the compression nut to tighen it up, and burnt my fingers! That was pretty neat! So I got spit on my finger and wiped the fitting. Boiled off!
When the hot water tank was up to temp and the stat shut down the pump, the fluid in the panel would boil and send steam down to the tank, which would overheat things.
It would make hot water in the winter when it was 20F. The sun was quite low at that time of year, so the angle was not very good.
I was a sucker for that kind of stuff, still am. But I can't see dropping $20K for a PV system. I did solar energy research at UofW, for honeycomb stabalized solar (heat) panels (US DOE funded).
posted by 65.68.10...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- I think this is cool - Solar Power, Scott Paterson , Thu, 10 Oct 2002 15:46:03
- Re: I think this is cool - Solar Power, Dean, Sun, 13 Oct 2002 12:01:51
- cool - Solar Power, jp, Fri, 11 Oct 2002 21:54:04
- Correction: 400 Volts Startup..., Scott Paterson , Fri, 11 Oct 2002 12:35:40
- Solar Power - NJ Rebates, Reuven, Fri, 11 Oct 2002 12:07:33
- Excellent. Well done. nt, Jo K, Thu, 10 Oct 2002 22:01:14
- Scott, was that Astropower through Home Depot?, andy , Thu, 10 Oct 2002 21:29:05
- Sweet! Would that be effective on the East Coast? (NY), Jason, Thu, 10 Oct 2002 21:10:09
- Estimated pay-back time?, John Davies, Thu, 10 Oct 2002 20:32:16
- care to share the cost with us?, MJP, Thu, 10 Oct 2002 19:08:45
- Sure thing!, Scott Paterson , Thu, 10 Oct 2002 19:19:32
- Re: Payback, BobS, Thu, 10 Oct 2002 22:36:51
- If you had electric heat and a heat storage unit, saw, Fri, 11 Oct 2002 21:38:05
- $40 to $60 a month?, MisplacedYankee, Fri, 11 Oct 2002 00:53:07
- Well, duh...., Scott Paterson , Fri, 11 Oct 2002 00:45:52
- UPDATE!! The sun came out - 1,600 Watts, Scott Paterson , Thu, 10 Oct 2002 18:02:31
- How many volts does each panel produce?,,,,, zeke, Thu, 10 Oct 2002 17:52:48
- Very Cool; subsidized power rocks!, WASSAAB, Thu, 10 Oct 2002 17:46:01
- Awesome indeed! Long dream of mine.., Aaron Gilbert, Thu, 10 Oct 2002 17:11:00
- Interesting indeed. I have been toying with the ide to, Anders, Thu, 10 Oct 2002 16:41:21
- Awesome!, Mr. Science, Thu, 10 Oct 2002 16:05:09
Post a Followup
The content on this site may not be republished without permission. Copyright © 1988-2012 - The Saab Network - saabnet.com.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Donations
Your address is: 126.96.36.199 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!