Sure Redline may be my preference too, but its too expensive. Also, has too much (i think) detergents.
I am not sure why people bash mobil1. First of all not all mobil1 oils are the same. A hi perf. turbo car should not just use any weight mobil1, definitely not 5w30, 0w30 or 10w 30. So if people tested those weights of mobil1 then yes they are going to fail.
A HO turbo car sees high shear and high temperature - this is where viscosity beaks down. Only few (NOT ALL) mobil1 oils can handle that one being 0w40, which has a HTHS viscosity of 3.8. Minimum requirement is 3.6. Even redline has a similar HTHS. So choose your oil weight wisely and look for the manufacturer spec on HTHS.
FYI, most synthetic oils like castrol and others you mention above have a HTHS of about 3 or 3.1. So its no surprise they break down!
posted by 107.0.17...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- Mobil 1 High Mileage Result, Sam, Tue, 29 Nov 2011 18:18:27
- I race my 997 GT3 w/M1 0W-40 exclusively with..., Dag, Fri, 9 Dec 2011 11:47:08
- Great feedback, Sam, Mon, 5 Dec 2011 09:23:23
- Re: Mobil 1 High Mileage Result, JZW , Wed, 30 Nov 2011 10:17:41
- Re: Mobil 1 High Mileage Result, Sam, Sat, 14 Jan 2012 10:58:04
- John is right-on as usual!, 900 Aero , Sun, 4 Dec 2011 16:33:38
- Re: Mobil 1 High Mileage Result, SG, Thu, 1 Dec 2011 06:47:35
- Re: Mobil 1 High Mileage Result, Justin VanAbrahams, Wed, 30 Nov 2011 12:28:03
- Re: Mobil 1 High Mileage Result, Justin VanAbrahams, Tue, 29 Nov 2011 21:37:30
Post a Followup
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Conact |
Your address is: 184.108.40.206 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!