GM has had over 3 years now to develop a volume car.
What came out... a new 9-3 that's all.
GM is a partial owner of FIAT which owns Lancia
which has made one of the best AWD systems ever designed.
The car that used it won 6 Rally Car World Championships
the 1999 Pikes Peak, and so many national championships
that the list is to long to read. The car that won all this
is still racing, still winning stages against whatever else
has come up since. The car is the Integrale, the AWD system
it uses is awsome, compact, effective and simple.
So a gearbox with integrated transferbox does exist that
can be used on 4 Cyl engines with torque figures similar
to what SAAB engines produce.
What does GM do... nothing ... nada. They don't even consider
this cause it might be a little more expensive to use a real AWD
system instead of that Haldex junk or Subaru stuff.
GM/SAAB could put out an AWD 9-3 in less then 6 months, simply
using the Lancia technology and their own engines. No need for
expensive developments for tarction control, just adapt the ESP
if you wish and you got a winner.
All they need to do is to modify the plaform a little to make
space for the AWD system.
No No.. instead the look at the Subaru AWD, which is ok but not great
and needs a flat 4 or 6, an engine type only to be found at Subaru. Then make the car in Japan, which will not look like a SAAB and not drive like one either.
BS that's what this is!
posted by 212.77.42...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- Saabaru - from the company that gave you the cimarron, Bevan, Wed, 5 Feb 2003 21:24:40
- Generic Motors also owns Daewoo too, right? Oh-oh., pursang, Fri, 7 Feb 2003 17:42:35
- I have both a Saab and a Sube, robp, Fri, 7 Feb 2003 08:26:31
- Re: Saabaru - from the company that gave you the cimarron, saaber, Thu, 6 Feb 2003 20:10:33
- Badge-engineering will not work........, Gary, Thu, 6 Feb 2003 13:33:14
- There's also this, phred, Thu, 6 Feb 2003 12:43:07
- Hey, I've no problem with a Subie based 9-2...., b.flippo, Thu, 6 Feb 2003 11:09:10
- Re: Hey, I've no problem with a Subie based 9-2...., TG, Sun, 9 Feb 2003 08:11:58
- You go underdog!.....nm, Mike Lynch , Fri, 7 Feb 2003 22:11:42
- And the reason Subaru dealers are against this is, Ian Glenday , Fri, 7 Feb 2003 16:36:18
- Yes, I agree with Brian - it'll be a great move., Scott Paterson , Thu, 6 Feb 2003 15:25:41
- Great comments, Brian, keeton, Thu, 6 Feb 2003 13:05:05
- well there is a line, Eli5, Thu, 6 Feb 2003 11:56:20
- Exactly, phred, Thu, 6 Feb 2003 12:46:22
- That will not work., Coolknight, Thu, 6 Feb 2003 05:10:14
Post a Followup
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Conact |
Your address is: 184.108.40.206 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!