You should check your radiator and waterpump operation. The 99 engine does not take kindly to getting WAY hot as the head tends to crack, In other words do not drive it until you fix the problem.
If the car has suddenly developed this problem, and heats up very quickly it almost certainly not the radiator, but the radiator should be cleaned anyway, particularly if you have already nearly cooked the engine.
I'm not sure about checking the idler shaft, but my guess is that if that broke the distributor would not turn hence the engine would not even start.
Try checking the thermostat as that may have seized. It can be simply checked by romoving the thermostat and plancing in some very hot water (boiling) and you should see the thermostat move. Alternatively you can drive the car with the thermostat removed and see if the car keeps its cool. But do not drive the car to often without the thremosat as you can seriously damage the engine (because it will never heat up to the correct operating temerature)
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- Any thoughts on 99 EMS overheating, JohnC, Sun, 24 Sep 2000 19:11:51
- Re: Any thoughts on 99 EMS overheating, FERGUS ANDERSON, Wed, 24 Jan 2001 01:40:23
- Re: Any thoughts on 99 EMS overheating, Roger Beardsley, Thu, 19 Oct 2000 01:51:55
- Re: Any thoughts on 99 EMS overheating, Dave Westlake, Wed, 27 Sep 2000 09:22:26
- Re: Any thoughts on 99 EMS overheating, Andy , Mon, 25 Sep 2000 04:39:09
- Checked your thermostat?, Justin, Sun, 24 Sep 2000 20:52:11
- Ho yeah..., JohnC, Mon, 25 Sep 2000 00:47:40
- Re: Ho yeah..., Andy , Mon, 25 Sep 2000 04:47:51
- Where abouts in Oz are you? (and info about thermos), Justin, Mon, 25 Sep 2000 01:28:30
- BrisVegas, JohnC, Mon, 25 Sep 2000 03:26:18
- Re: BrisVegas, Mandev, Tue, 26 Sep 2000 00:44:35
- Re: BrisVegas, Julian, Mon, 25 Sep 2000 08:32:58
- Hmmm.......What is the 99 X7? n/m, Justin, Mon, 25 Sep 2000 05:53:58
- 99 X7, JohnC, Mon, 25 Sep 2000 19:21:59
- If only 11 99Ts, I had two of them, Who has the others?, Justin, Mon, 25 Sep 2000 05:51:33
Post a Followup
The content on this site may not be republished without permission. Copyright © 1988-2012 - The Saab Network - saabnet.com.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Donations
Your address is: 18.104.22.168 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!