I had a '92 S4 (based on the previous generation 100/A6), so my experience isn't directly applicable to you, but hopefully it will help.
The Saab shifter really isn't that bad. It doesn't find gears quite as telepathically as the S4 did, but I've driven A4s and would rate them as fairly similar, with a (very) slight edge to the A4. The clutch is a good deal lighter than the S4, but is probably on par with the A4. You can read below about the torque steer issue. The only good answer to that question is to go drive one for yourself. It will be much more pronounced than the thrust angle steer from the A4Q system for certain.
The SE model will be closer to your A4 in performance and feel, though it's still quicker, unless you've dropped in a TAP or Hoppen chip. The Viggen isn't quite as fast overall as the current S4, but it feels as quick and is definitely more exciting (that can be seen as either a good or a bad thing). Not to mention up to $10K cheaper with the year end deals out there.
I haven't had much experience with Saab service yet (I bought my Viggen in March of this year). Here in San Diego, they're pretty good. But, as with anything else, it varies by dealership.
You will find significantly more useable back seat room and trunk space in the Saab than in the A4 cars, which I found to be a big bonus. I'm 6'3" and I could barely squeeze myself into the back of the A4, whereas I can ride reasonably comfortably in the back of my Viggen.
Since I commented about the TAP chips, if you're into tuning the car you won't find as many vendors for Saab tuning, and they typically don't claim the same levels of power gains as the Audi tuners do. But, if you're leasing it's not a great idea to mess with the ECU anyway.
Hope this helps
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- Audi owner considering either a 9-3SE or a Viggen, PaulV, Thu, 5 Oct 2000 10:27:56
- Re: Audi owner considering either a 9-3SE or a Viggen, Gavin , Sun, 8 Oct 2000 05:47:52
- Deja vu!, digiduke, Sat, 7 Oct 2000 01:29:26
- I'm a SAAB man, BUT. . ., Rafe , Fri, 6 Oct 2000 18:33:20
- When the going gets tough, the SAAB keeps going ;), Coolknight, Fri, 6 Oct 2000 07:21:30
- Re: Audi owner considering either a 9-3SE or a Viggen, Chris, Thu, 5 Oct 2000 20:29:58
- Re: Audi owner considering either a 9-3SE or a Viggen, claude, Thu, 5 Oct 2000 18:50:31
- Re: Audi owner considering either a 9-3SE or a Viggen, 2Slow, Thu, 5 Oct 2000 16:00:17
- From Audi to Saab, MM, Thu, 5 Oct 2000 11:52:54
- You'll appreciate the power and interior layout..., Richard P., Thu, 5 Oct 2000 11:35:43
- thoughts from a former Audi owner, JeffJ, Thu, 5 Oct 2000 11:19:11
- Thanks., PaulV, Thu, 5 Oct 2000 17:01:12
Post a Followup
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Conact |
Your address is: 18.104.22.168 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!