NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Books Movies & Music |
The laws of physics do suggest that lower octane (and therefor higher energy density) fuel will be more efficient *IF* the thermodynamic process of compression, spark, and combustion remain fixed.
With our Saabs, this second piece of the equation does not remain fixed. The knock prevention in higher octane fuels allow for a more efficient (thermodynamically) set of running parameters. (Of course those changed parameters are also the ones that make the engine more powerful, and result in some heavier right-foot action from some of us, at least some of the time). High compression engines take advantage of this with every cycle.
Of course, changes in elevation and air temperature make a big difference too.
posted by 212.112.107...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- $4.29 a gallon, No Snaab , Sun, 6 Mar 2011 08:49:57
- $7.90 in Pisa, OKSaabs , Wed, 16 Mar 2011 14:10:34
- $3.549/gallon for 93 octane in Detroit area, MI-Roger , Tue, 8 Mar 2011 16:33:49
- DISTANCE, Saabinhappy, Tue, 8 Mar 2011 12:25:07
- Very valid point, AdamB , Thu, 10 Mar 2011 09:05:45
- The U.S. is set up around the car. Other places,, Noel , Wed, 9 Mar 2011 14:16:30
- we have similar distances here in Australia too..., sab, Tue, 8 Mar 2011 18:34:46
- That's true, Kristjan, Tue, 8 Mar 2011 15:08:16
- Re: DISTANCE, turbocon86, Tue, 8 Mar 2011 13:01:45
- $8.82 current Shell list price for regular in Denmark, AdamB , Tue, 8 Mar 2011 08:59:44
- Re: $3.59 Greenville SC...bringin up the rear, baby!nm, scott k, Mon, 7 Mar 2011 21:32:04
- $4.019 Costco Premium San Diego, Mike Lynch , Mon, 7 Mar 2011 10:27:14
- $3.60 in central VA, nuotatore, Sun, 6 Mar 2011 18:25:32
- Re: $4.29 a gallon - still cheap there, LesH , Sun, 6 Mar 2011 17:40:07
- And it's gonna get worse., Noel , Sun, 6 Mar 2011 16:52:17
- Damn thats cheap! abt US$6.02 here in Oz, sab, Sun, 6 Mar 2011 13:01:11
- Sweden ~$7.76 a gallon, SWEDECAR , Sun, 6 Mar 2011 11:52:15
- Re: $4.29 a gallon, EGD , Sun, 6 Mar 2011 11:11:17
- $4.50 REGULAR in DC..., Craig, Sun, 6 Mar 2011 10:48:13
- Just filled Mobil 91 yesterday. $4.10 locally. n/m, SWEDECAR , Sun, 6 Mar 2011 09:46:16
- $3.79-3.89, Slug , Sun, 6 Mar 2011 09:23:06
- Re: $4.29 a gallon, kkelley, Sun, 6 Mar 2011 09:09:17
- $3.73.., Chris9k , Sun, 6 Mar 2011 08:53:47
Post a Followup
The content on this site may not be republished without permission. Copyright © 1988-2012 - The Saab Network - saabnet.com.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Donations
Your address is: 126.96.36.199 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.