Hey gang - I've never been a Saab owner and I'm a mechanical light-weight (I have worked on older volkswagens a bit, though). My uncle's trying to convince me to buy an older saab station wagon (v-4). He says the engine runs well but that it might need a new water pump and/or alternator.
It is pretty rusty, and I would want to use the car for the ocassional longer distance drive (slow and steady) and for local cruising. Mechanically, how wicked are these things to maintain? How similar are they to driving an older vw? How expensive could the repair on the water pump or alternator be - and is it impossible to find these parts?
Beyond basice bad signs and structural rust, is there anything else I should really look into? Does the electrical become a nightmare on these things? I appreciate your response!
posted by 216.129.2...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- 1970's wagon - how bad of an idea?, Mark Tirpak, Thu, 29 Jul 2004 00:12:05
- Rust, Rust, Rust... this will sum it up..., Chris95, Sun, 1 Aug 2004 06:56:37
- Re: 1970's wagon - how bad of an idea?, konradv4, Thu, 29 Jul 2004 23:17:03
- Re: 1970's wagon - how bad of an idea?, Jim , Thu, 29 Jul 2004 14:07:08
- Re: 1970's wagon - it's a great idea!, jonathan , Thu, 29 Jul 2004 07:46:50
- Re: 1970's wagon - how bad of an idea?, magnusSE, Thu, 29 Jul 2004 04:57:24
- Re: 1970's wagon - how bad of an idea?, Brian, Thu, 29 Jul 2004 03:28:51
Post a Followup
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Conact |
Your address is: 188.8.131.52 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!