Hi Guys. Last night I popped into the bank to deposit a check, came out and after a brief start and conk out couldn't start my car (of course it was raining).
1999 9-3SE 155k miles. Battery strong. Full tank of gas. Turning over like a champ. No start.
That suggested fuel problem, or ignition problem. I had a spare DIC in trunk (mine is red, but my spare is black btw -- is this okay). So I popped that in, and cranked again. Still no start. 10 times. no start.
I then thought about the above "brief start then conk out" and thought, it must have just burned the gas in the fuel line, igniting fine, but running out of gas. It must be the pump right?
So without tools, i took my tire iron out, wrapped it in a paper towel (to make sure i didn't throw sparks in bad places) and banged on my fuel tank as much as I could with only 6" clearance.
... and voila! she started! ... got me home.
so, 3 questions:
1) is it 90% sure that the cause was a failing fuel pump? how much time do i have to replace this if so?
2) and if it's not too dangerous of a DIY, can someone please point me to one of your wonderful step by step pictoral sites that you guys keep sharing on how to DIY?
3) is there a better performing pump that I could use this opportunity to upgrade to? links please.
Robert. 1999 9-3SE 155k mi
posted by 184.100.20...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- Why no start? Fuel pump, DIC or other?, Robert, Thu, 17 Nov 2011 10:39:56
- Any easier to swap the filter during my pump swap?, Robert, Fri, 18 Nov 2011 09:37:22
- Re: Why no start? Fuel pump, DIC or other?, NCCaniac , Thu, 17 Nov 2011 12:34:44
- I vote for fuel pump., mikes1929, Thu, 17 Nov 2011 11:48:44
Post a Followup
The content on this site may not be republished without permission. Copyright © 1988-2012 - The Saab Network - saabnet.com.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Donations
Your address is: 22.214.171.124 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!