NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Books Movies & Music |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
But go prepared.
I go to Europe, mid-east or Japan with an Amex card, a Visa card, a spare Visa, and two ATM cards. I tell the Visa card people that I'll be traveling.
My ATM cards only link to my "travel account" that I don't keep much money in. I move money into it as needed from my computer and it has overdraft protection. Yes, there is a fee for foreign transactions. It sucks. But it's 1% on the ATM card so I try to use that as much as possible. The Visa cards is 3%.
The reason I have 2 ATM cards is that ATM machines sometimes eat a card and when you're across the pond you are SOL if you are depending on that card. I was in Brugges, Belgium one Saturday with some biz colleagues and we were talking about "card strategy" when abroad. Ironic as can be, one of my pals went to the ATM machine which refused to give her money and ate her only ATM card. Fortunately, she had some cash and a credit card, and we helped her out on the small stuff.
I leave Tuesday for 2 weeks in Germany.
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- OT: America Credit Cards in Europe.., AlS , Thu, 26 Apr 2012 16:28:27
- Re: OT: America Credit Cards in Europe.., George K, Fri, 27 Apr 2012 14:13:58
- Re: OT: America Credit Cards in Europe.., Kristjan, Fri, 27 Apr 2012 11:25:58
- Re: OT: America Credit Cards in Europe.., Bill Davies , Fri, 27 Apr 2012 10:01:56
- Scandinavia, OKSaabs , Fri, 27 Apr 2012 07:52:08
- No worries..., Larry West , Fri, 27 Apr 2012 07:10:28
- Bring a second, backup card if you can, nateh89spg , Fri, 27 Apr 2012 05:12:05
- CapitalOne Visa, Bill Homer, Thu, 26 Apr 2012 20:40:04
- Just back from Belgium a few weeks ago, Chadwick , Thu, 26 Apr 2012 19:39:27
- Re: OT: America Credit Cards in Europe.., LI_Dave, Thu, 26 Apr 2012 17:30:05
Post a Followup
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Conact |
Your address is: 220.127.116.11 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.