Re: Saab next generation 4-cylinder engine...... - Saabnet.com Bulletin Board
Yes, the new motor is the 2.2L designed byu lotus, and currently used by saturn.
The motor is very smooth--at idle it's inaudible, and very quiet under light load.
2.2L with a long stroke will be an improvement for the base saab cars, and improve the off-the-line torque. This is the most annoying feature of our saab.
The big issue is longevity. GM is notorious for cutting corners to save a few bucks in production such that the part breaks out of warranty. If this happens to saab i will NOT buy another.
I looked at a 9-3 viggen, and while it is a hoot to drive, i saw several areas that looked cheap compared to our '97 900 SET. I have just gotten pickier. I also drive a 328i and while it has fewer features than out saab it exudes quality and durability. If nothing else saab would be well served to just copy the BMW suspension, it's *so much* better...
Posts in this Thread:
- Saab next generation 4-cylinder engine......, Paul , Sun, 22 Oct 2000 12:22:34
- Re: Saab next generation 4-cylinder engine......, David Hanley, Tue, 24 Oct 2000 13:31:12 <-- Viewing This Message
- Its a shame.......now its the GM engine? very scary n/m, Liam, Mon, 23 Oct 2000 23:16:18
- Hmmm!..., GM-enemy, Mon, 23 Oct 2000 19:04:29
- Next engine derived from Saturn model, Coolknight, Mon, 23 Oct 2000 14:27:13
- Maybe the new engine will idle smoothly..., Richard P., Mon, 23 Oct 2000 08:13:15
- Re: Saab next generation 4-cylinder engine......, Turboman, Mon, 23 Oct 2000 07:45:13
- Re: Saab next generation 4-cylinder engine......, GM, Sun, 22 Oct 2000 22:17:10
- Where did you hear this?? (n/m), Keith, Sun, 22 Oct 2000 14:57:53
- UK car weekly AutoWeek, theyre pretty reliable n/m, Paul , Mon, 23 Oct 2000 23:01:00
- Re: Where did you hear this?? (n/m), Bill H., Sun, 22 Oct 2000 21:54:58
- Prob'ly read it on some BBS on the Internet..., bob, Sun, 22 Oct 2000 19:34:10
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 126.96.36.199 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, skyscraper, nor box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!