So I went and looked at a 78 turbo today. The car has been in storage for 12 years, and is in less than great shape. Fortunately for me, I'm looking for more of a runner than a looker, so the aesthetics are not my top priority. However, having been stored for so long, I've got a lot of concerns about the mechanics of the car... The seller is going to attempt to get things loosened up and see if he can turn the motor over by hand. Next time I go up I plan to bring a battery and see if I can crank it over a few times and see how it sounds (without giving it fuel/spark). I'd really like to get an idea of the condition of the engine before getting serious about buying it, and maybe even try to get it running.
I'm looking for some pointers and advice in things I should do before cranking it over and certain things to look out for. IF everything checks out to be OK and it seems like something that could be gotten back on the road without an absurd amount of time, effort, and money, I'll consider the purchase. Although, his asking price still seems a bit high... any input on approximate value would be helpful as well. Body is solid with very little rust, though he as patched over a few spots with filler, and the drivers side has a nice crease down the door/quarter panel.
He does seem to be a motivated seller.
Thanks in advance for any input!
posted by 65.175.230...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- Possible 78 turbo parchase - in storage 12 years, Cark, Tue, 10 Apr 2012 13:50:14
- well... never mind that, Cark, Fri, 13 Apr 2012 17:19:53
- Water pump ! ! ! Gary, Don, the most significant >>, BobD, Wed, 11 Apr 2012 10:14:59
- Water Pumps - the rest of the story, Gary Stottler, Thu, 12 Apr 2012 07:40:04
- Water pump more ?? >>, BobD, Thu, 12 Apr 2012 09:50:14
- Clarification on Water Pumps, Gary Stottler, Fri, 13 Apr 2012 09:20:28
- interesting..., Cark, Fri, 13 Apr 2012 05:32:50
- photos!, Cark, Fri, 13 Apr 2012 06:02:21
- Re: photos!, boot_sequence , Fri, 20 Apr 2012 19:38:31
- spares, Cark, Sat, 21 Apr 2012 16:54:44
- Re: photos!, Gary Stottler, Fri, 13 Apr 2012 09:14:04
- Re: Possible 78 turbo parchase - in storage 12 years, Gary Stottler, Wed, 11 Apr 2012 06:10:51
Post a Followup
The content on this site may not be republished without permission. Copyright © 1988-2012 - The Saab Network - saabnet.com.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Donations
Your address is: 188.8.131.52 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!