Gary's advisement's are good. I would add check compression with 20 SECOND squirt of WD 40 added to each and all cyl's first, and disable spark and fuel as you mentioned and do a compression test. Also, with owner permission, remove valve cover and look for light brown tarnish(normal)( any sludge or carbon or antifreeze is unusual) AND measure the exhaust valves for anything above .014". Any below .012" may indicate valve burning or lots of valve seat and face wear. Reuse the original VC gasket after quick mop with Brake clean spary and a skiff of Ultra Grey gasket maker. If power train is car is original, keep in mind the thin paper pan gaskets split and were displaced out just above where the shifter rod is. Broken exhaust studs are a major hassel as is a cracked exhaust manifold.
posted by 24.211.137...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- Possible 78 turbo parchase - in storage 12 years, Cark, Tue, 10 Apr 2012 13:50:14
- well... never mind that, Cark, Fri, 13 Apr 2012 17:19:53
- Water pump ! ! ! Gary, Don, the most significant >>, BobD, Wed, 11 Apr 2012 10:14:59
- Water Pumps - the rest of the story, Gary Stottler, Thu, 12 Apr 2012 07:40:04
- Water pump more ?? >>, BobD, Thu, 12 Apr 2012 09:50:14
- Clarification on Water Pumps, Gary Stottler, Fri, 13 Apr 2012 09:20:28
- interesting..., Cark, Fri, 13 Apr 2012 05:32:50
- photos!, Cark, Fri, 13 Apr 2012 06:02:21
- Re: photos!, boot_sequence , Fri, 20 Apr 2012 19:38:31
- spares, Cark, Sat, 21 Apr 2012 16:54:44
- Re: photos!, Gary Stottler, Fri, 13 Apr 2012 09:14:04
- Re: Possible 78 turbo parchase - in storage 12 years, Gary Stottler, Wed, 11 Apr 2012 06:10:51
Post a Followup
The content on this site may not be republished without permission. Copyright © 1988-2012 - The Saab Network - saabnet.com.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Donations
Your address is: 184.108.40.206 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!