problem with 'B' engine Saabs.
Also a good chance this is why it was parked.
Over the years I would say that 1 of 3 that I checked out that had been sitting were water pump problems.
Has it held coolant ?
Are there noticeable stains below the water pump from leaking ?
Get a light and a mirror and make sure the water pump shaft turns when the engine is turned. A dab of white marker paint or silver Sharpie marker will show up well when it turns.
A good coolant flushing and refill with premixed coolant with 'Bars leaks' to lube pump seal and deal with minor leaks.
If everything checks out and fuel pump runs you can remove as much gas as possible, add new premium fuel with good quality injector cleaner additive, remove fuel supply to filter and run it to a catch can, run pump to flush lines.
Change oil & filter and crank engine with plugs removed and fuel and ignition disabled till oil light goes out - make sure it's working first.
Amazingly these CIS cars can sit for a long time and fire up and run.
posted by 72.160.8...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- Possible 78 turbo parchase - in storage 12 years, Cark, Tue, 10 Apr 2012 13:50:14
- well... never mind that, Cark, Fri, 13 Apr 2012 17:19:53
- Water pump ! ! ! Gary, Don, the most significant >>, BobD, Wed, 11 Apr 2012 10:14:59
- Water Pumps - the rest of the story, Gary Stottler, Thu, 12 Apr 2012 07:40:04
- Water pump more ?? >>, BobD, Thu, 12 Apr 2012 09:50:14
- Clarification on Water Pumps, Gary Stottler, Fri, 13 Apr 2012 09:20:28
- interesting..., Cark, Fri, 13 Apr 2012 05:32:50
- photos!, Cark, Fri, 13 Apr 2012 06:02:21
- Re: photos!, boot_sequence , Fri, 20 Apr 2012 19:38:31
- spares, Cark, Sat, 21 Apr 2012 16:54:44
- Re: photos!, Gary Stottler, Fri, 13 Apr 2012 09:14:04
- Re: Possible 78 turbo parchase - in storage 12 years, Gary Stottler, Wed, 11 Apr 2012 06:10:51
Post a Followup
The content on this site may not be republished without permission. Copyright © 1988-2012 - The Saab Network - saabnet.com.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Donations
Your address is: 126.96.36.199 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!