The initial high cost is due to low volume of production. Remember the days when the personal computer cost 5 figures? The competitive private market is especially good at bringing the prices down over time, rapidly. The early adopters are well-heeled enthusiasts. Given the frequency of 6-figure party events all around the world in the past two decades, finding passengers for the space flight on the way to Australia should not be too hard. The PanAm Clipper flight in the 1930's from San Francisco to Manila and Hong Kong were $1710 round trip; since gold was $35/oz after FDR revluation, that translates to 49 ounces, or close to $70k in today's money in equivalent gold terms. Over long periods of time, gold value actually lags behind the increase of real disposable income, that's how real living standards improve. A new car at the time was about $200, vs. today's $25k. So the PanAm ticket price was equivalent of 8.5 cars, or about $200k today! The PanAM Clipper service was packed and highly profitable.
All bureaucracies' first priority is self-perpetration. Government bureaucracies can only survive by robbing taxpayers. That is not to say, all government bureaucracies are unjustified in the absolute sense: some governments can be decent place holders keeping out even more rapacious ones.
Werner von Braun was inspired by American private rocketeers. German taxpayers were looted by their government to support Braun and his crew as war effort. They were in turn looted by the Allied governments. Too bad both the US and Soviet governments decided to keep the loot to themselves instead of giving the know-how to their citizens and companies that were interested in space exploration and utilization, and more importantly each monopolized space engineering through government agencies.
posted by 75.67.1...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- Cool video from the International Space Station, Noel , Sun, 22 Apr 2012 09:40:15
- Love the Auroras! Saw my house at 1:17, Bill Homer, Sun, 22 Apr 2012 11:34:36
- Re: Cool video from the International Space Station, AdamSAAB2kAero, Sun, 22 Apr 2012 11:00:37
- The original Sputnik, Tim, Tue, 24 Apr 2012 06:27:32
- The original Sputnik, Reality, Sun, 22 Apr 2012 12:04:01
- Then there's those pesky laws of physics..., Noel , Sun, 22 Apr 2012 16:39:23
- Competitive Market is a discovery process, Tim, Tue, 24 Apr 2012 06:29:41
- Competitive Market is a discovery process, Reality, Sun, 22 Apr 2012 17:22:30
- S. Korea: case where gov't intervention has worked, Bill Homer, Sun, 22 Apr 2012 20:09:17
- A perfect example of the saying..., Noel , Sun, 22 Apr 2012 19:22:44
- aka Personal Attack when logic fails, Reality, Sun, 22 Apr 2012 19:47:05
- Then would you please tell us exactly how, Noel , Mon, 23 Apr 2012 06:38:35
- Look up SpaceShipTwo and WhiteKnightTwo, Reality, Mon, 23 Apr 2012 07:20:07
- Re: Look up SpaceShipTwo and WhiteKnightTwo, Joeychess, Mon, 23 Apr 2012 08:38:39
- Re: Look up SpaceShipTwo and WhiteKnightTwo, Reality, Mon, 23 Apr 2012 09:41:22
- Clipper cost = $22K today, Gene N , Mon, 23 Apr 2012 11:02:11
- One can also buy a ride on a Russian rocket, Noel , Mon, 23 Apr 2012 10:48:36
- Also, Capital utilization rate would be much higher, Reality, Mon, 23 Apr 2012 18:28:50
- Not aware of any Russian rockets taking off from JFK, Reality, Mon, 23 Apr 2012 12:01:23
- Re: Not aware of any Russian rockets taking off from JFK, John G, Mon, 23 Apr 2012 16:37:25
- Does your Aunt still see dead people?, Joeychess, Mon, 23 Apr 2012 21:38:26
- What ifs, maybes and semi-relevant statements..., Noel , Mon, 23 Apr 2012 19:14:42
- Re: Not aware of any Russian rockets taking off from JFK, Reality, Mon, 23 Apr 2012 18:03:14
- LOL...6 figure parties, secret service hookers, GSA..., Joeychess, Mon, 23 Apr 2012 10:02:16
- Re: aka Personal Attack when logic fails, pete, Mon, 23 Apr 2012 04:58:58
Post a Followup
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Conact |
Your address is: 220.127.116.11 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!