Here's what I can say:
I bought my 9-5 used, but still under warranty. The dealership was okay to deal with (replaced dash due to crack in woodgrain, replaced cup holder, etc). When I went in with my list of Tech2 changes to be made (such as having the fog lights on without the headlights) they gave me a funny look, but ultimately took care of it. When my CEL came on just before the warranty ran out they said it was a random misfire and nothing to worry about. When I returned a week later with the CEL on and the same code they turned it off and said it was due to the Previous owner getting into the wiring for the o2 sensor for an a/f gauge (it had been put back to stock when I bought it). When I told them it was the DI they said no way, and wouldn't replace it. I never went back.
I replaced the DI myself in about 5 minutes and haven't had a CEL since.
My indy did the 60K service for half what the dealer would charge. He washed my car inside and out, had a waiting room with coffee, muffins, and wi-fi, or a loaner car if I needed it. He gave me updates on what I would need, and in one instance even let me bring in the brake pads I wanted to have put on - no questions asked.
I moved, I do some work myself, and I have a good relationship with my dealer and trust their techs to anything with the car, but that doesn't change the price. Here in Vermont there are lots of indy's who can fix it just as well. So the dealer gets it for oil changes since the price is reasonable and I know it will be done correctly, the indy gets it for big service, and I DIY for the stuff I know how to do (fuel filter, air filter, cabin filter, suspension, brakes, and did the CPS and fuel pump once).
I'm lucky enough to have a good dealer, but I'm not rich. I don't think they charge too much, but I think you can get good service elsewhere for less.
At the end of the day I would say that the best car-fixin' experience I ever had was the wonderful folks at Sovereign Auto in Roswell GA. If I still lived there I would have them do 100% of the work. They were FANTASTIC. The most important thing they did was make sure it was right the first time. Anyone looking for a model for their dealership or indy shop should pay them a visit. I went there a half dozen times and never left unhappy with the service done on my car.
There are good and bad on the dealer and the indy side though, so it's more about finding one you are comfortable with. Many times that isn't at a dealership, sometimes you can't even find a good indy!
posted by 24.91.149...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- You People, John Myers , Sat, 27 Mar 2010 20:05:00
- Re: You People, Dave Chicago, Tue, 1 Jun 2010 14:13:44
- I loved reading this - and the replies >, Bill Davies , Tue, 30 Mar 2010 06:51:23
- Dealership experience today, No Snaab , Mon, 29 Mar 2010 14:28:39
- john i can never tell if you're joking to make you..., baggsly , Mon, 29 Mar 2010 11:06:57
- Would the world be a better place for you if, Noel , Mon, 29 Mar 2010 10:09:48
- Re: You People, dr fall, Mon, 29 Mar 2010 09:17:12
- You put yourself in the cross-hairs, so..., nicknick , Mon, 29 Mar 2010 08:08:37
- And what did you expect accomplish by this diatribe?, AudiGuy, Mon, 29 Mar 2010 06:10:09
- Re: And what did you expect accomplish by this diatribe?, John Myers , Mon, 29 Mar 2010 18:23:53
- Re: And what did you expect accomplish by this diatribe?, John Myers , Mon, 29 Mar 2010 08:07:13
- Really well said, AudiGuy!, Noel , Mon, 29 Mar 2010 06:27:24
- Sorry but you're not cut out for customer service..., Alex, Sun, 28 Mar 2010 19:12:48
- Re: There are not enough of you around, BobS, Sun, 28 Mar 2010 17:11:25
- Re: You People, nuotatore, Sun, 28 Mar 2010 16:34:03
- my experiences, Liam, Sun, 28 Mar 2010 15:00:44
- Fitting Several Types Here, Tim, Sun, 28 Mar 2010 11:17:48
- That was fun to read, Mike Johnson, Sun, 28 Mar 2010 10:01:23
- Re: You People, steve, Sun, 28 Mar 2010 08:42:35
- Re: You People, B Millar , Sun, 28 Mar 2010 08:17:31
- Re: You People, steve@boston, Sun, 28 Mar 2010 08:02:20
- Re: You People (still trying on this one, eh?), Noel , Sun, 28 Mar 2010 07:27:38
- wish I had access to a good dealer or indy, LesH , Sun, 28 Mar 2010 06:22:17
- dealing with dealers, OKSaabs , Sun, 28 Mar 2010 05:48:16
- Re: You People, James, Sun, 28 Mar 2010 03:40:08
- what do you mean "You people?", Kirk Lazarus, Sun, 28 Mar 2010 03:01:46
Post a Followup
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Conact |
Your address is: 126.96.36.199 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!