Previous note had to be cut drastically shorter due to repeated intervention by filter.
None of the allegedly rational reason for hating modern SUV's makes any sense in 2011 (as opposed to 2001):
1. Many SUV's made in the past decade are far less polluting than older cars (or even some newer cars). Where is the outrage against older cars?
2. Many SUV's made in the past decade weigh less than many cars. e.g. A RAV4 weighs 1000lbs less than a 5 series or new 9-5! Where is the outrage against heavy cars?
3. Many SUV's made in the past decade burn less gas than older cars and many contemporary cars. Where's the outrage against older cars or gas guzzling new sporty cars? The very people so into handling and performance is the group that consumes more gas than EPA ratings whereas the SUV's are far more likely to be put in cruise control and run up better mileage than EPA ratings.
There is very little rational basis for across-board SUV-hating. The very fact that most of the SUV haters are owners of older high performance cars that are far more polluting than many SUV's made in the past decade goes to the show that the whole exercise is little more than "5-min group hate."
posted by 24.91.39...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- Snow tires: four of a kind vs two of a pair, Noel , Thu, 22 Sep 2011 11:41:03
- Gee, tirerack rec's buying 4 instead of 2 - shocker!, nwas, Thu, 22 Sep 2011 18:14:20
- Summer tire idiots, Kristjan, Thu, 22 Sep 2011 12:38:35
- many seem to not be noticing all-season vs summer, AeroEd , Thu, 22 Sep 2011 17:59:00
- Get a set, No Snaab , Thu, 22 Sep 2011 17:11:24
- Re: Summer tire idiots, EGD , Thu, 22 Sep 2011 16:27:17
- Re: Summer tire idiots - really?, Skip, Thu, 22 Sep 2011 15:39:21
- Re: Summer tire idiots. Yep., Noel , Thu, 22 Sep 2011 14:27:44
- In terms of avoiding getting stuck, Tim, Fri, 23 Sep 2011 05:12:37
- snow tires 30% more traction than no-season??, AdamB , Sat, 24 Sep 2011 11:31:51
- Re: In terms of avoiding getting stuck, James, Fri, 23 Sep 2011 11:00:35
- Re: In terms of avoiding getting stuck, Noel , Fri, 23 Sep 2011 06:34:57
- 95%, Tim, Fri, 23 Sep 2011 07:49:46
- I largely agree also..., James, Thu, 22 Sep 2011 19:45:18
Post a Followup
The content on this site may not be republished without permission. Copyright © 1988-2012 - The Saab Network - saabnet.com.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Donations
Your address is: 220.127.116.11 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!