will you believe me if I tell you that belts can handle more force (and do not stretch as much as chains do) while chains are... more flexible then belts? Belt-driven engines require less pro-activity on noise suppression.
As for the thermostat - I do agree that easy-to-service thermostat looks better to me, but if it is designed - and proven - to run 100K miles then it can be placed into location that doesn't feature an ease of access should you want to replace it only. Moreover, it MUST be placed there - where VAG has hid it - if it helps to cut down production costs (you will not buy any 9-5 for +$10-15K more extra only if it has bolts and screws instead of rivets and pistons and if its crash sensors can be stripped into bits to be serviced).
Cars of nowadays are designed to run some certain... thresholds: 15K miles, 50K miles, 100K miles and so forth - when at each point some GROUP of parts must be serviced. And it makes some sense: if you do say oil-service every 7.5K miles and belts are to be replaced every 10K miles then it's worth spending extra on engine research to make it serviceable - in terms of oil change - every 10K miles where you'll do the oil, and belts, and filters, and spark plugs... And even the wiper blades.
In this case if it helps to cut down costs should you place oil filter behind alt belt then you can safely place it right there.
Merc's from '70s era were designed in that way which let every mechanic to dismantle any part or unit and service it. But that was coming with very premium price tag for the whole motor (pardon my british, I spend last week on youtube watching those chaps from wheela dealarz).
That's the way it goes, sorry.
posted by 77.37.1...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- Volkswagen/Audi timing belt change? $1200? Crazy!, Brian, Sun, 27 Nov 2011 07:12:38
- Removing front end is often very easy., dmz789qqq, Tue, 29 Nov 2011 09:55:21
- Not that bad..., Larry West , Tue, 29 Nov 2011 08:50:10
- Re: Volkswagen/Audi timing belt change? $1200? Crazy!, William, Mon, 28 Nov 2011 16:38:05
- Crazy?! How 'bout 1400-1800 per for a PT-Cruiser? Or..., Acubra, Mon, 28 Nov 2011 15:16:59
- So, what did you get done and what parts used?, Bill Homer, Mon, 28 Nov 2011 13:58:47
- The death of DIY?, No Snaab , Sun, 27 Nov 2011 15:32:54
- try this question the next time you'll look 4 a new car, Siegfried, Mon, 28 Nov 2011 11:57:58
- 2 types of buyers., James, Mon, 28 Nov 2011 12:16:00
- third type, DE, Mon, 28 Nov 2011 15:51:06
- And..., Noel , Mon, 28 Nov 2011 14:48:51
- Re: try this question the next time you'll look 4 a new car, Justin VanAbrahams, Mon, 28 Nov 2011 12:14:20
- not dead, just more sophisticated..., James, Sun, 27 Nov 2011 18:49:22
- Re: The death of DIY?, TML, Sun, 27 Nov 2011 16:21:12
- Re: Volkswagen/Audi timing belt change? $1200? Crazy!, SWEDECAR , Sun, 27 Nov 2011 09:25:28
- Re: Volkswagen/Audi thermostat change = $1200!, Bill Homer, Sun, 27 Nov 2011 09:24:15
- Yup, unfortunately $1200 sounds competitive., nateh89spg , Sun, 27 Nov 2011 08:40:53
- Re: Yup, unfortunately $1200 sounds competitive., Son of Saab, Sun, 27 Nov 2011 20:38:40
- Honda, jeff in MD , Sun, 27 Nov 2011 17:30:06
- Re:VW/Audi plastic water pump impellar?, Brian, Sun, 27 Nov 2011 09:15:29
- Re: Crazy!, Noel , Sun, 27 Nov 2011 07:17:02
- Re: VW/Audi dealer in CT $2500 + for T-Belt., Brian, Sun, 27 Nov 2011 07:36:34
- ehh... So what's wrong with it?, Siegfried, Mon, 28 Nov 2011 09:11:48
- What's wrong is bad design, Noel , Tue, 29 Nov 2011 07:31:51
- really bad?, Siegfried, Tue, 29 Nov 2011 09:06:11
- Well, OK, but my point is more that, Noel , Wed, 30 Nov 2011 09:11:15
- will you believe me if..., Siegfried, Wed, 30 Nov 2011 10:14:17
- Re: will you believe me if..., TML, Thu, 1 Dec 2011 05:07:27
- Unfortunately, my VAG thermostat is dead at 56,000 mile, Bill Homer, Wed, 30 Nov 2011 14:41:06
- Re: sorry, Siegfried, Thu, 1 Dec 2011 03:46:14
- Re: VW/Audi dealer in CT $2500 + for T-Belt., bic, Sun, 27 Nov 2011 19:18:15
- I was clearly misinformed!, Noel , Sun, 27 Nov 2011 12:55:32
- That is unfortunate., Mike Johnson, Sun, 27 Nov 2011 10:21:37
- Makes the ng900/9-3 PS line seem like a good idea, nwas, Sun, 27 Nov 2011 10:09:54
- Holy crap!, Skip, Sun, 27 Nov 2011 07:49:53
Post a Followup
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Conact |
Your address is: 126.96.36.199 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!