as said before: 'designed AND PROVEN to run XXX K miles'. Probably they switched to unattended thermostat design a bit too early.
I believe you've got what I'm talking about. If not, then here goes another analogy.
In the early days of motoring the fuel tanks were built of metal. And they were equipped with drain plugs to services them cause of rust that show up inside the tank and clogged the fuel system. After they moved from metal tanks to plastic ones there happened to be no further need for fuel tank drain plugs and they were omitted.
Moreover, I believe that if we solved the problem of dirty fuel then fuel filters should be (if it reduces production costs) hidden somewhere in the fuel pump unit since if you happened to hit some XXX K miles point when it's scheduled to replace the pump then you can also replace the fuel filter. Or should you happen to fill you baby with some crappy gas which clogs the filter then you must also inspect (at least) the fuel pump whether it is damaged or not.
But this doesn't mean that I vote for removing the fuel filter as a separate part in favour of integrated filter+pump unit: should there be some clogging issue you should be able to replace the only damaged (and relatively low-cost) part, not the whole 'fuel-supply assembly'.
posted by 77.37.1...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- Volkswagen/Audi timing belt change? $1200? Crazy!, Brian, Sun, 27 Nov 2011 07:12:38
- Removing front end is often very easy., dmz789qqq, Tue, 29 Nov 2011 09:55:21
- Not that bad..., Larry West , Tue, 29 Nov 2011 08:50:10
- Re: Volkswagen/Audi timing belt change? $1200? Crazy!, William, Mon, 28 Nov 2011 16:38:05
- Crazy?! How 'bout 1400-1800 per for a PT-Cruiser? Or..., Acubra, Mon, 28 Nov 2011 15:16:59
- So, what did you get done and what parts used?, Bill Homer, Mon, 28 Nov 2011 13:58:47
- The death of DIY?, No Snaab , Sun, 27 Nov 2011 15:32:54
- try this question the next time you'll look 4 a new car, Siegfried, Mon, 28 Nov 2011 11:57:58
- 2 types of buyers., James, Mon, 28 Nov 2011 12:16:00
- third type, DE, Mon, 28 Nov 2011 15:51:06
- And..., Noel , Mon, 28 Nov 2011 14:48:51
- Re: try this question the next time you'll look 4 a new car, Justin VanAbrahams, Mon, 28 Nov 2011 12:14:20
- not dead, just more sophisticated..., James, Sun, 27 Nov 2011 18:49:22
- Re: The death of DIY?, TML, Sun, 27 Nov 2011 16:21:12
- Re: Volkswagen/Audi timing belt change? $1200? Crazy!, SWEDECAR , Sun, 27 Nov 2011 09:25:28
- Re: Volkswagen/Audi thermostat change = $1200!, Bill Homer, Sun, 27 Nov 2011 09:24:15
- Yup, unfortunately $1200 sounds competitive., nateh89spg , Sun, 27 Nov 2011 08:40:53
- Re: Yup, unfortunately $1200 sounds competitive., Son of Saab, Sun, 27 Nov 2011 20:38:40
- Honda, jeff in MD , Sun, 27 Nov 2011 17:30:06
- Re:VW/Audi plastic water pump impellar?, Brian, Sun, 27 Nov 2011 09:15:29
- Re: Crazy!, Noel , Sun, 27 Nov 2011 07:17:02
- Re: VW/Audi dealer in CT $2500 + for T-Belt., Brian, Sun, 27 Nov 2011 07:36:34
- ehh... So what's wrong with it?, Siegfried, Mon, 28 Nov 2011 09:11:48
- What's wrong is bad design, Noel , Tue, 29 Nov 2011 07:31:51
- really bad?, Siegfried, Tue, 29 Nov 2011 09:06:11
- Well, OK, but my point is more that, Noel , Wed, 30 Nov 2011 09:11:15
- will you believe me if..., Siegfried, Wed, 30 Nov 2011 10:14:17
- Re: will you believe me if..., TML, Thu, 1 Dec 2011 05:07:27
- Unfortunately, my VAG thermostat is dead at 56,000 mile, Bill Homer, Wed, 30 Nov 2011 14:41:06
- Re: sorry, Siegfried, Thu, 1 Dec 2011 03:46:14
- Re: VW/Audi dealer in CT $2500 + for T-Belt., bic, Sun, 27 Nov 2011 19:18:15
- I was clearly misinformed!, Noel , Sun, 27 Nov 2011 12:55:32
- That is unfortunate., Mike Johnson, Sun, 27 Nov 2011 10:21:37
- Makes the ng900/9-3 PS line seem like a good idea, nwas, Sun, 27 Nov 2011 10:09:54
- Holy crap!, Skip, Sun, 27 Nov 2011 07:49:53
Post a Followup
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Conact |
Your address is: 22.214.171.124 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!