1994 9000 Aero 5-spd Stage 3 SQR - 291,000 miles
Have been running Royal Purple for a little over 50,000 miles after seeing an Australian report on commodores.com showing its resistance to metal on metal friction due to the molybedum they put in the oil. First immpressions were less engine noise and a few more mpg. Seemed fine but oil always seemed very dirty at 3-5k oil changes. Also had leaks. Some smoky exhaust at full throttle and about a half a quart per month minimum re-top.
Recently changed to the "fully synthetic" Mobile 1 High Mileage oil, same weight of 10W40.
Result: almost 1500 miles later, the oil level is still the same, the color is still nice and clear and I seem to have less valvetrain noise. So far I like it.
I should note that from 64,000 miles to 243,000 miles I have used Mobil 1 of varying weights.
I even used 0W40, but then my main crank bearings started rattling. They wore down to the brass, but some replacement and polish was all that was needed. Engine was clean too, this was at 230k miles. I am still unconvinced that Mobile 1 is real group 4 synthetic, but I suspect the $8.00 stuff is as synthetic as Royal Purple. A Royal Purple rep once stated when asked if they make fully synthetic oil, and they replied that oil is like a recipe, it is made of many different components, not limited to conventional components....mmmmm sounds fishy.
Overall, I have better experience and history with Mobile 1.
posted by 65.34.73...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- Mobil 1 High Mileage Result, Sam, Tue, 29 Nov 2011 18:18:27
- I race my 997 GT3 w/M1 0W-40 exclusively with..., Dag, Fri, 9 Dec 2011 11:47:08
- Great feedback, Sam, Mon, 5 Dec 2011 09:23:23
- Re: Mobil 1 High Mileage Result, JZW , Wed, 30 Nov 2011 10:17:41
- Re: Mobil 1 High Mileage Result, Sam, Sat, 14 Jan 2012 10:58:04
- John is right-on as usual!, 900 Aero , Sun, 4 Dec 2011 16:33:38
- Re: Mobil 1 High Mileage Result, SG, Thu, 1 Dec 2011 06:47:35
- Re: Mobil 1 High Mileage Result, Justin VanAbrahams, Wed, 30 Nov 2011 12:28:03
- Re: Mobil 1 High Mileage Result, Justin VanAbrahams, Tue, 29 Nov 2011 21:37:30
Post a Followup
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Conact |
Your address is: 188.8.131.52 - Using CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!