Hi there I am Eric's Wife...
I love love love my Volt ;) I have owned a couple of other cars besides the SAAB. Always came back to the SAAB. But for the first time, I would say I love my VOLT over the SAAB. It has great handling and pickup. I was surprised by the pickup how quick it was. But when I researched it my '02 SAAB 9-5 linear 0-60 MPH was 8.7 my volt is 8.9 seconds.
I like the handling better in one particular way. That is the car is about 1 foot shorter. Which makes my turning tighter I found and more nibble.
Also, you don't feel like you are floating on air like all other cars. Which is why I liked my SAAB. The volt is very similiar in that respects. It is not total silence you can still hear the road. total silence makes me want to fall asleep.
EPA states 35 city and 40 highway but depending on driving habits you can get much better milages.
I have owned it 2+ months. I have driven 3 longish drives (60-80 miles round trip) all other drives are ranging from 10-30 miles round trip. I have used 1/2 a tank (4.5 gallons on a 9 gallon gas generator). My electric bill went up $15 last month.
Depending on the weather I range any where from 38-44 miles per battery charge for the city. If it rains it is towards 38. If it is 70-80 sunny it is 44.
With a mix driving(city/highway) scenario on the gas generator I averaged 42 MPG. I was amazed by that. My SAAB in Mixed driving would get 22 MPG. In city I got 18 MPG.
The higher the PSI in the the tires the better mileage I get. Which as a novice person I didn't realize that.
Driving it you feel like you are in a cock pit of a space craft. They did a really good job with the mid console area. It is a touchscreen computer. The only complaint I have, is I haven't quite figured out the heating/ac system ... Sometimes it seems to come on based on outside temp instead of inside temp. I do use the ECO mode though. That saves the most energy.
Also the mid console gives you alot of feedback on how well you are driving and how the energy is being used. When it is collecting, using battery or the generator.
Mid console it is easy to use. The buttons outside the screen are all heat sense buttons. This can create a problem when the car gets hotter in certain instances. Requires a heavy touch for it to register the temperature change.
One of great things is it has a USB port in the center arm rest. I bought a 32GB Usb Drive and loaded up my music library in a folders/MP3s file list. Plugged it in car recognized it and displayed it. I can easily play through the touch screen my music on the USB drive.
Plenty of Seating room. I am a fairly large person, there is plenty of room. Seats are very comfortable and guest in the back have stated that they were comfortable as well. The seats are made from Soy apparently.
On top of that the Saab seat belt always cut in my neck because of having a large chest area. The volt does not do that at all. And is very comfortable in that respects.
Also, I love love my hatchback, I so missed that with the 9-5.
Charging they put thought into it and actually give you three different options. I am using a delayed charge to charge on a schedule. I tell it to have it charged by 7 AM in the morning. So if you have flex electric billing this can coincide with that.
We opted for the 240 Volt charger. Which it takes about 3.5 hours to do a full charge. Which is a rarety for me.
It will use about 10.2 KWH before saying it is completely discharged.
To deal with the battery problems they choose to not let it discharge less than 30% of battery life and no more than 80% of capacity.
Batteries are warrantied for 8 years/100K.
If the battery pack does go, they give you a 12 volt battery in the back. So you litteraly can jump start the car and run off the back up generator.
I have onstar for 3 years as part of the lease deal which is really nice to have.
I have the base model so no fancy stuff like park assist, elctronic seat control, or leather seats. All that is extra.
Nice thing, I have my own cusotmer representative with the VOLT. She called and introduce herself. any questions or problems or suggestions I have I can contact her. Which she has already proven useful in one question.
They also sent a book about the making of the VOLT. It is really interesting to read.
Best of all I do not have to go the the Gas station all that often. I hated doing that.
The one thing I don't like because they were limited on space I have no spare tire. Only a tire repair kit.
And to help with air resistance they have a low level flap off the bottom bumper for air resistnace. So it can scrap when pulling into driveways with humps at the beginning.
One of the best concepts about this car. Is the gas generator and electric engine, in nearly all instances of driving the electric engine drives the wheels. Only when it goes over 70 MPG does the gas generator help the wheels, I forget why that is.
Given that, for me the thing that makes this car so brilliant is that combo. It allows a car to be developed that is essentially the same with only the switching out of the different type of generators. Meaning fuel cell, gas, natural gas and whather else comes along. This I found out through reading the book is also what excites GM in regards to their production abilities.
Also in February 2012 DARPA and GM had discovered a way to store 10 times more electricity into a battery.
As far as I am concerned this vehicle is the best and most innovated vehicle out there in this class.
Right now I am quite satisified and am a VOLT Lover.
posted by 173.48.5...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- Saab brand said to be final hurdle in bankruptcy sale, JohnA , Tue, 12 Jun 2012 20:54:58
- SWEDEN: Saab to hire 200 engineers; name doubts linger, JohnA , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 11:37:14
- Re: Saab brand said to be final hurdle in bankruptcy sale, JohnA , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:09:52
- Press conference at 1pm Swedish time, Kristjan, Tue, 12 Jun 2012 23:48:42
- Looks like SaabsUnited is down, JerseySaab , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 04:07:58
- They are back up, confirming NEVS as the buyer, JerseySaab , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 04:31:30
- Re: They are back up, confirming NEVS as the buyer, Snowmobile , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:01:15
- I'm afraid Saab is done..., jeff in MD, Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:17:41
- Give it a little time and see..., MI-Roger , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 13:17:31
- Re: I'm afraid Saab is done..., Scott Paterson , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 07:26:34
- They may not have the Saab brand name yet, JerseySaab , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:46:38
- Yeah sure..., ELaw , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:31:04
- How is she liking the Volt? nm, JohnA , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:40:16
- Re: How is she liking the Volt? nm, ELaw , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:55:02
- Re: How is she liking the Volt? nm, ALaw, Wed, 13 Jun 2012 07:21:22
- Thanks for this great write up..., Noel , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 15:40:27
- Mrs. Law, pleasure to meet you, Siegfried, Wed, 13 Jun 2012 08:10:37
- question..., Snowmobile , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 07:30:36
- Re: question..., ALaw, Wed, 13 Jun 2012 08:07:40
- Re: question..., ELaw , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 07:53:05
- New Saab must solve, Kristjan, Wed, 13 Jun 2012 07:40:14
- The real question is..., JerseySaab , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 07:37:52
- Tss!, Siegfried, Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:51:10
- Turbo was not as risky as this, JerseySaab , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:16:26
- Turbo WAS risky and Saab must be honored for that, Siegfried, Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:47:27
- I have seen The Wall, JohnA , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:41:32
- Far from "everyone", JerseySaab , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:56:01
- Not for everybody but there is a niche, Kristjan, Wed, 13 Jun 2012 07:09:16
- A very small niche indeed, JerseySaab , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 07:22:42
- niche vehicles, jeff in MD , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 07:18:24
- Re: niche vehicles, ELaw , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 11:10:06
- hardly, jeff in MD really, Wed, 13 Jun 2012 11:25:23
- Re: hardly, ELaw , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 11:59:12
- Re: hardly, jeff in MD really, Wed, 13 Jun 2012 12:14:38
- Hmmm..., ELaw , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 06:08:49
Post a Followup
The content on this site may not be republished without permission. Copyright © 1988-2012 - The Saab Network - saabnet.com.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Donations
Your address is: 22.214.171.124 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!