NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Books Movies & Music |
"If someone develops a better mousetrap (or battery, or energy source), people will flock to it..."?
Sounds like maybe you spent a little too much time in the lab and not enough in the real world!
History is replete with examples of things being "better" and not being accepted, either quickly or at all.
Pop quiz: what was the best-selling car in the USA in the mid-1970's? Answer: the Ford Pinto. Now, I know this is a bit subjective but what was the worst car you could buy in the USA in the 1970's? In my opinion and that of many others... the Ford Pinto. In this and thousands of other cases, people didn't buy what was better, they bought what was cheap and/or easy.
Here's another example: airbags. GM actually developed them in the 1960's, but they didn't even get marketed until the government forced the issue 20 years later. How about Beta vs. VHS? Beta was better, VHS dominated the marketplace. To keep things a little on-topic, how many people over the years have chosen vehicles other than Saabs even though a Saab would meet their needs better?
And if you're going to try to convince me that we have enough oil to last "centuries" at current rates of consumption, you're going to have to provide convincing documentation from an unbiased peer-reviewed source. Otherwise I'm calling BS on that one.
And re the Volt being sold at a loss and not desirable to most car buyers, how about the Saab 9-5? Saab lost money on every one of those sold, and for each one sold people bought thousands of cars from other manufacturers. But I don't see you giving that car the same criticism...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- Saab brand said to be final hurdle in bankruptcy sale, JohnA , Tue, 12 Jun 2012 20:54:58
- SWEDEN: Saab to hire 200 engineers; name doubts linger, JohnA , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 11:37:14
- Re: Saab brand said to be final hurdle in bankruptcy sale, JohnA , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:09:52
- Press conference at 1pm Swedish time, Kristjan, Tue, 12 Jun 2012 23:48:42
- Looks like SaabsUnited is down, JerseySaab , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 04:07:58
- They are back up, confirming NEVS as the buyer, JerseySaab , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 04:31:30
- Re: They are back up, confirming NEVS as the buyer, Snowmobile , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:01:15
- I'm afraid Saab is done..., jeff in MD, Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:17:41
- Give it a little time and see..., MI-Roger , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 13:17:31
- Re: I'm afraid Saab is done..., Scott Paterson , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 07:26:34
- They may not have the Saab brand name yet, JerseySaab , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:46:38
- Yeah sure..., ELaw , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:31:04
- How is she liking the Volt? nm, JohnA , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:40:16
- Re: How is she liking the Volt? nm, ELaw , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:55:02
- Re: How is she liking the Volt? nm, ALaw, Wed, 13 Jun 2012 07:21:22
- Thanks for this great write up..., Noel , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 15:40:27
- Mrs. Law, pleasure to meet you, Siegfried, Wed, 13 Jun 2012 08:10:37
- question..., Snowmobile , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 07:30:36
- Re: question..., ALaw, Wed, 13 Jun 2012 08:07:40
- Re: question..., ELaw , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 07:53:05
- New Saab must solve, Kristjan, Wed, 13 Jun 2012 07:40:14
- The real question is..., JerseySaab , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 07:37:52
- Tss!, Siegfried, Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:51:10
- Turbo was not as risky as this, JerseySaab , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:16:26
- Turbo WAS risky and Saab must be honored for that, Siegfried, Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:47:27
- I have seen The Wall, JohnA , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:41:32
- Far from "everyone", JerseySaab , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:56:01
- Not for everybody but there is a niche, Kristjan, Wed, 13 Jun 2012 07:09:16
- A very small niche indeed, JerseySaab , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 07:22:42
- niche vehicles, jeff in MD , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 07:18:24
- Re: niche vehicles, ELaw , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 11:10:06
- hardly, jeff in MD really, Wed, 13 Jun 2012 11:25:23
- Re: hardly, ELaw , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 11:59:12
- Re: hardly, jeff in MD really, Wed, 13 Jun 2012 12:14:38
- Hmmm..., ELaw , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 06:08:49
Post a Followup
The content on this site may not be republished without permission. Copyright © 1988-2012 - The Saab Network - saabnet.com.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Donations
Your address is: 126.96.36.199 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.