First of all, oil companies do not get subsidies for losing money like GM does. The alleged "subsidies" for oil companies are alleged tax breaks and alleged underpricing of use fee for public land. All these taxes and fees, if more is collected, so long as they are applied across board to all oil companies, in reality would be mostly passed onto consumers. Just like sales tax are in reality levied on consumers, as businesses do not have to exist (if it doesn't make profit or even make less profit than opportunity cost) whereas people have to live on.
Secondly, the cost of wars have nothing to do with making oil available or making oil cheap. The Iraq War illustrated in spades that occupying Iraq actually makes oil more expensive: because it costs more money to have a US marine standing over an oil well head in Iraq than letting the locals pump the oil and sell it on the international market. What's more, even after Iranian Revolution took American hostages, the government of Iran still wanted to sell oil to American consumers. The sale was carried out via Marc Rich's Swiss company in order to circumvent a trade ban imposed by the US government! So there, wars have nothing to do with making oil available or making oil cheap. Wars are about enriching the military industrial complex. Flag-waiving idiots make the scam that much easier to implement.
Thirdly, the market alternative to Volt is not a Saab 9-5 with 15+yr old technology, but the Toyota Prius. Is the Chevy Volt at $45k twice as good as the Toyota Prius at $20k? That's a personal choice. Taxpayer shouldn't be subsidizing it one way or another. It's silly indeed for taxpayers to subsidize reinventing the wheel when there is already a superior product around.
Fourthly, a major part of savings of running a plug-in hybrid is avoiding road tax that is part of every gallon of gas sold, but not in the electric bill. I'm all for legal tax avoidance. More power to you. The less money made available for corrupt government construction contracts the better. Your view on this might not be the same.
posted by 75.67.1...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- Saab brand said to be final hurdle in bankruptcy sale, JohnA , Tue, 12 Jun 2012 20:54:58
- SWEDEN: Saab to hire 200 engineers; name doubts linger, JohnA , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 11:37:14
- Re: Saab brand said to be final hurdle in bankruptcy sale, JohnA , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:09:52
- Press conference at 1pm Swedish time, Kristjan, Tue, 12 Jun 2012 23:48:42
- Looks like SaabsUnited is down, JerseySaab , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 04:07:58
- They are back up, confirming NEVS as the buyer, JerseySaab , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 04:31:30
- Re: They are back up, confirming NEVS as the buyer, Snowmobile , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:01:15
- I'm afraid Saab is done..., jeff in MD, Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:17:41
- Give it a little time and see..., MI-Roger , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 13:17:31
- Re: I'm afraid Saab is done..., Scott Paterson , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 07:26:34
- They may not have the Saab brand name yet, JerseySaab , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:46:38
- Yeah sure..., ELaw , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:31:04
- How is she liking the Volt? nm, JohnA , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:40:16
- Re: How is she liking the Volt? nm, ELaw , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:55:02
- Re: How is she liking the Volt? nm, ALaw, Wed, 13 Jun 2012 07:21:22
- Thanks for this great write up..., Noel , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 15:40:27
- Mrs. Law, pleasure to meet you, Siegfried, Wed, 13 Jun 2012 08:10:37
- question..., Snowmobile , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 07:30:36
- Re: question..., ALaw, Wed, 13 Jun 2012 08:07:40
- Re: question..., ELaw , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 07:53:05
- New Saab must solve, Kristjan, Wed, 13 Jun 2012 07:40:14
- The real question is..., JerseySaab , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 07:37:52
- Tss!, Siegfried, Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:51:10
- Turbo was not as risky as this, JerseySaab , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:16:26
- Turbo WAS risky and Saab must be honored for that, Siegfried, Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:47:27
- I have seen The Wall, JohnA , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:41:32
- Far from "everyone", JerseySaab , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:56:01
- Not for everybody but there is a niche, Kristjan, Wed, 13 Jun 2012 07:09:16
- A very small niche indeed, JerseySaab , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 07:22:42
- niche vehicles, jeff in MD , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 07:18:24
- Re: niche vehicles, ELaw , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 11:10:06
- hardly, jeff in MD really, Wed, 13 Jun 2012 11:25:23
- Re: hardly, ELaw , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 11:59:12
- Re: hardly, jeff in MD really, Wed, 13 Jun 2012 12:14:38
- Hmmm..., ELaw , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 06:08:49
Post a Followup
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Conact |
Your address is: 184.108.40.206 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!